NYU swimming dives into another win

Max Phillips finished first in the 200-yard freestyle helping the Violets Defeat Cortland in their season opener.

via gonyuathletics.com

Ashley Arnold, Contributing Writer

The NYU men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams kicked off their season on Saturday by defeating SUNY Cortland handily.

The Men’s team beat SUNY Cortland 196-90. Junior Max Phillips won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:42.73. He also landed in second place in the 100-yard freestyle with 48.17. Phillips, and with junior Harrison Clewell, sophomore Joe Baron and senior Win Htet Oo achieved victory in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:13.88.

“Between the returning swimmers and the freshmen I think we really showed everyone just how much potential our team has this year,” Phillips said. “For so many of us to be doing as well as we did this weekend I think that we are going to have a very strong team when championships roll around.”

Sophomore Austin Palmer won the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:45.88. Junior Phillip Kang landed in first place in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:54.01 and the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:54.36.

The women’s swimming and diving team also dominated the competition, defeating SUNY Cortland with 198-94. Sophomore Isabelle Kitze won the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 58.74 and led the 400-yard winning freestyle relay team with a time of 3:40.40. Kitze also placed second in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.57. Freshman Haley Wen got off to a strong start for her collegiate career, winning the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:12.64 and the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:40.52.

“It went really well in terms of both my own performance and the team’s performance,” Wen said. “It was so much fun to watch all my new teammates swim for the first time and to race with their support.”

Junior captain Elise Gibbs won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:57.35. Gibbs also anchored the winning 200-yard medley relay team with Krista Traub and sophomore Serena Yan, finishing with a time of 1:47.40.

In the one-meter diving competition, sophomore Austin Campitelli, in her first competition since nationals last season, finished with a score of 259.14. Freshman Kelly Ryser was just behind her, totaling 254.40 points. Campitelli also took first place in the three-meter competition with a score of 265.35. The Violets’ next competition will be the University of Rochester Invitational this weekend on Oct. 23-25 in Rochester, New York.

A version of this article appeared in the Oct. 13 print edition. Email Ashley Arnold at [email protected].