On the job: Phylicia Ashley

NYU Senior Phylicia Ashley, outside CAS where she studies Journalism.

Jake Quan

Daniela Cobos, Contributing Writer

The average senior schedule includes going to class, homework, socializing, activities and preparing for graduation. For one senior, Phylicia Ashley, the schedule is a lot more challenging than one would expect: wake up at 5 a.m., go to work, go to class, participate in activities, mentor students, study, socialize, prepare for work, prepare for graduation, repeat.  She interns about 20 to 30 hours a week for “The Today Show” while balancing five classes as well as mentoring members as academic chair of the Academic Achievement Program and seeking to empower women through leadership as vice president of Women of Excellent Strength and Tenacity. Ashley attributes her busy schedule as having an overall positive influence on her lifestyle.    

“Having this demanding internship and doing a lot on campus keeps my mind going, it keeps me proactive, and it makes me more efficient,” Ashley said.

Her typical schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays begins with work duties involve talking to reporters, formulating interview questions, helping in the control room, and controlling crowds in the plaza. By organizing her schedule to have class on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, Ashley has made it work. Mondays are particularly hectic; Ashley works from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. and she goes to AAP Rap Session from 4:30 to 6 p.m., yet she still finds time to study, have meetings with professors, and mentor AAP members. Work continues at home on nights before she has her internship when she reviews the pitches for the next day.

Is all of this hustle and bustle worth it?

“Absolutely,” Ashley said. “I’m doing something I love. I’m getting experience for what I’m going to do after I graduate. I’m one step ahead.”

No stranger to internships, Ashley has interned at ARK Media, CNBC, CNN, NBC Dateline, The Source Magazine, and currently “The Today Show,” to name a few. This real life experience has prepared her for a future career as an on-air reporter.

While she does plan for the future, Ashley does not neglect the present. Realizing how much she has on her plate, Ashely works to manage accordingly.

“The most difficult part is that I have a heavy class schedule and I want to stay up late to study, but I need sleep to perform well at work in the morning,” Ashley said.

Ashley said her friends’ support has helped her cope with her stressful schedule.

“My friends are my support group. They’re driven and they understand my mindset. I have a family here on campus,” Ashley said.

For Ashley, her taxing schedule is worth every sacrifice. Finding a balance between internship, classes and personal time, Ashley is certain that her efforts will prove to be beneficial in her future.

“It doesn’t feel like work when I’m at work,” Ashley said. “I’m in a field that matches my personality and I’m pursuing a passion that I have and that I love.”

A version of this article appeared in the Oct. 13 print edition. Email Daniela Cobos at [email protected].