Five study spots for when you’re sick of Bobst

Think Coffee on Mercer offers a good place to study for students who prefer background noise.

Tiffany L. Chen

Taylor Nicole Rogers, Contributing Writer

At NYU, there are a few things you can be sure of when midterm season rolls around: lines at Starbucks will grow longer, and Bobst will be jam-packed with students trying to squeeze in caffeinated study sessions. Although Bobst is undeniably the most well known place to study on campus, it isn’t the only option.

Washington Square Park

Washington Square Park is another one of the more popular study spots among NYU students. CAS freshman Sinduja Sriskanda often goes to the park when she tires of the library.

“It’s fun to look up while you’re studying and see everyone doing their own thing,” Sriskanda said. “Whenever I study in the park, there are always cute little kids running around and musicians playing. It eases your work.”

Housing Works Bookstore Cafe

Those who find Washington Square Park too busy to focus on homework but still like a bit of background noise should check out Housing Works Bookstore Cafe at 126 Crosby St. In addition to being a non-profit that serves homeless and low-income New Yorkers who have been affected by HIV/AIDS, the intimate bookstore combines old world charm with modern conveniences such as free Wi-Fi and excellent lattes.

Coffee Foundry

The hustle and bustle of some public places is not the right study environment for everyone. Like many students, Steinhardt senior Jessica Grant prefers to study in a quieter environment. Coffee Foundry on West Fourth Street is her go-to study spot.

“Coffee Foundry is my favorite place to study because it makes you feel as if you are part of a bigger community,” Grant said. “There are a lot of other people around you working as well so there is an unspoken camaraderie. Being there motivates me and I’m more likely to stay studying for longer when I go somewhere off campus.”

Tisch Hall

Studying in other NYU’s academic buildings besides Bobst can be refreshing as well, as Stern freshman Jill Xu discovered. Xu scoped out the best places to study in Stern’s Tisch Hall while preparing for her midterms last week.

“I really like to go into Stern and choose a random classroom,” Xu said. “We call it ‘claiming the classroom.’ It’s private, quiet and the ambiance in Stern is really nice for studying. In the library you only have a certain amount of space, but in Stern you can spread out, which makes things a lot easier.”

Xu also recommends the top floor of the MBA building of Tisch Hall for students who like to study with a view.

“It has an amazing night view of the Empire State Building and there are tables and chairs where you can sit down to study,” Xu said.

School of Law: John Sexton Student Forum

Located on the second floor of Furman Hall, this study lounge is a gem that’s conveniently located if you aren’t too keen on leaving campus. The lounge is filled with comfy sofas, booths and those classic green colored lamps that just scream law school. Lounges and classrooms in Kimmel and Silver might already be claimed,   but NYU Law buildings are worthy alternative.

“No matter where or how you like to study, it is important to find a place that works for you,” Sriskanda said. “The library has a studious environment that some people like, but going somewhere else makes my homework feel less stressful.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 18 print edition. Email Taylor Nicole Rogers at [email protected]