Where to bring the ‘rents during Parents Day

Anna Letson

NYU didn’t completely ban the box this past August, and students with previous violations of rape and sexual assault are still allowed to attend the university.

Taylor Nicole Rogers and Grace Halio

This Saturday, hundreds of parents will converge on the square in celebration of the university’s annual Alumni and Parents day. Give your family a taste of your New York City life after NYU’s programing ends Saturday afternoon.

Try Classic New York Fare

Lombardi’s Coal Oven Pizza, Corner of Spring and Mott streets

Take a short 15 minute walk outside NYU’s borders to Little Italy and visit Lombardi’s on Spring Street. Made famous by the Food Network, this quaint pizzeria is a favorite of locals and tourists alike. Try their famous pepperoni pizza or their homemade meatballs and you won’t be disappointed. Although the pies can be quite pricey, the quaint restaurant calls itself “America’s First Pizzeria” and is a great place for a casual dinner with family.

Tompkins Square Bagels, Avenue A between East 10th and East 11th streets.

There is never a bad time to eat a bagel. Take a walk down scenic East 9th street and venture through the East Village on your way to Avenue A. Enjoy an afternoon treat at this bagel shop where you can order a classic bagel with cream cheese and lox or get creative with a bagel sandwich.

Explore the Meatpacking District

Whitney Museum of American Art, 99 Gansevoort Street

Now that the Whitney Museum has made the move downtown, head west with your family to check out the new space. The closest subway lines are the ACE and L at 14th street and 8th Avenue. Walk the High Line, which has an entrance at the corner of Gansevoort and Washington streets right next to the Whitney. Head over to Gansevoort Market by walking east on Gansevoort Street for a quick bite and a place to rest.

Catch a Show

Broadway theaters/Times Square

Although attending a Broadway show is one of the most popular activities for New York visitors, New York’s notoriously high cost of living can put regular trips to Broadway out of reach. The app TodayTix offers discounted tickets for well-known Broadway shows such as Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera, in addition to numerous off-Broadway plays within walking distance of campus. NYU Ticket Central — accessible through your NYUHome account, and in person at the Skirball Center — offers a convenient alternative for discounted tickets.

Explore Brooklyn

Take a trip out of the borough and over the Brooklyn bridge to experience something other than your average day in Manhattan. Accessible via the 4,5,6 line to the Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Stop, the Brooklyn Bridge provides scenic views of Lower Manhattan. Walk across to Brooklyn Bridge Park and make a stop at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory at 1 Water Street. Take a walk through the cobblestone streets of Dumbo and explore the Powerhouse Arena, an art gallery-bookstore combo on 37 Main St. Just steps away from the park, you’ll find New York’s classic Grimaldi’s Pizza at 1 Front St., and Shake Shack at 1 Old Fulton St.

Email Taylor Nicole Rogers and Grace Halio at [email protected].