The Weekend: Oct. 30 – Nov. 1

Avia Hawkins, Contributing Writer

In the days — or sometimes weeks— preceding the most wicked day of the year, some run to costume stores, others innovate Halloween originals from pieces in their own closet and most decorate pumpkins. However, everyone gets caught up in the preparation, one question remains: What am I actually doing on Halloween? Here are some fun, spooky options throughout the city.

The New York Haunted Hayride

1 Randalls Island Park

Some people claim they’re not afraid of anything. The ultimate test of fearlessness is the Haunted Hayride, where visitors encounter ghastly ghouls, crazy clowns, diabolical demons and more disturbing creatures. The terrifying production became popular on “Shark Tank” and scared the people of Los Angeles for years, and now the sensation is taking over New York City. Tickets can be purchased for $35. Take the 4 train to 125th Street and the M35 bus to the Island.  Halloween is the last day to experience the scary attraction, so head over to Randall’s Island between 7 and 11 p.m.

The Ride Inspector’s Nightmare

1208 Surf Ave.

This Halloween, Coney Island, one of New York’s favorite entertainment destinations, is taking a step further with the Ride Inspector’s Nightmare. This production opens with the retirement party for Patty McKay, the park’s Chief Ride Inspector. Old stories of accidents and other events are remembered at the party, but once everyone leaves and McKay falls asleep, real career-related nightmares are told. Throughout the performance, the audience will witness disturbing visuals with a fair share of explicit language and drug use. Tickets are $15 and one can get to the Coney Island stop via the N train.

17th Annual Great PUPkin Festival

100 Washington Park, Brooklyn

For those that are more interested in creative costumes than creepy happenings, the Great PUPkin Festival is the perfect Halloween destination. Brooklyn’s largest dog costume event featured almost 125 contestants last year with puppies dressed as everything from mystical creatures to politicians. Take the B train from West Fourth to DeKalb Avenue to enjoy this free event at the Prison Ship Martyrs Monument in Fort Greene Park. 

Village Halloween Parade

On Sixth Avenue, north of Spring Street up to 16th Street

As if the West Village isn’t already full of enough unique personas, a wave of petrifying, eccentric individuals will walk down Sixth Avenue on Saturday. For the last 42 years, celebrities, New Yorkers and tourists have lined the streets from Spring Street to 16th Street to watch the legendary parade of giant puppets, dancers, acrobats, superheroes witches and warlocks. As the event gets crowded, it is best to find a spot or make transportation plans well in advance. If you want to show off your own costume, anybody is welcome to march by lining up at Canal Street and Sixth Avenue from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Email Avia Hawkins at [email protected].