Around the world in three days with NYU’s world tour

Hon-Lum Chueng-Cheng

The Pop Up Gallery, one of the flagship events for the NYU World Tour, features an assortment of artwork created by the NYU community.

Lingyi Hou, Staff Writer

While it may seem like NYU’s campus covers a relatively small amount of square footage for a school of its size, in reality, NYU’s campus extends far beyond New York City and even the United States. NYU is one of the most globally connected universities in the world and this week, NYU World Tour brings the 13 global sites together to promote the unique international experiences the school offers its students.

The annual NYU World Tour, hosted by the World Tour Committee which is overseen by the Division of Student Affairs, marks a weeklong celebration of multiculturalism among NYU’s portal campuses and study away sites.

Zach Harrell, the Associate Director of the Student Resource Center and a World Tour committee member, said the event’s main goal is to promote the global community that NYU has built throughout the years.

“It is our fourth NYU World Tour,” Harrell said. “What we want to do is to promote NYU’s idea of global network, to show our value on international perspectives and international education.”

Events throughout the week across all the global sites include three Marquee Events on the New York campus — the Pop-Up Gallery, the Global Expo and the Grand Bazaar.

The Pop-Up Gallery held on Tuesday in the Kimmel Center for University Life was the newest addition to the lineup of events. The gallery featured photography, paintings and sculptures by both domestic students who have studied abroad and international students who have come to the United States.

In the works showcased in the gallery, there was a recurring theme of using different artistic styles to express cross-cultural experiences of identity. Such works included “Redbound,” a painting that blends elements of life in Mumbai and Miami to present both conflicts and similarities between the cultures of the two geographically distinct locations. Several performances rounded out the gallery, including Tisch sophomores Malin Jomvi and Joseph Zaslaw-Altamirano’s renditions of Swedish songs.

The other two Marquee events — the Grand Bazaar and the Global Expo — will both be held today on the fourth floor of Kimmel from 12 to 3 p.m.

The Grand Bazaar, the biggest event of the week, will take students on a world journey with free food, entertainment, giveaways and decorations from all 13 NYU global sites. The bazaar will give students a small taste of what the experience would be like in each different study away site.

The Global Expo assumes a more informative purpose by providing logistics on study away experiences in the United States and around the world. Regardless, Harrell emphasized that the two should be seen as a merged experience.

“We — the Grand Bazaar team and the Global Expo team — have been working more

collaboratively to create a common unified event,” Harrell said. “Something new that people can expect is a more merged collaboration between the fun, the culture and also the education.”

Harrell wishes for students to feel included in the week of global discourse and celebrate their own unique identities.

“I think it’s important to really have events that celebrate all of our students, where they are coming from,” Harrell said. “This gives students the opportunity to celebrate their own culture and learn about other cultures.”

Email Lingyi Hou at [email protected].