Students get spooky, boozy on Halloween

The yearly, spooky, West Village Halloween parade has been attracting thousands since it started in 1973.

Ian Kumamoto

Christine Wang, Deputy News Editor

With the West Village’s Halloween parade being one of the most popular attractions on the spookiest day of the year, NYU students have a range of festivities to choose from, such as haunted houses, parades and costume parties — but these chaotic activities can also be reason to avoid the festivities.

For Steinhardt sophomore Kassidy Williams, Halloween is a fun time for creative costumes and quality time with her friends at the Village Halloween Parade. She attended the Gallatin Brandspankin’ New Works Showcase, which features theatrical works from NYU students.

“For Halloween my roommates and I went to see the Gallatin Brandspankin’ New Works Showcase, and then we went to the parade,” Williams said. “I love how everyone in New York City dresses up, no matter their age. It’s so much fun just walking around the city with friends and seeing all the creativity come to life.”

The parade drew thousands of attendees, as onlookers watched various dressed up characters move up Sixth Avenue to loud cheers and music.

But despite Williams’s positive feelings towards Halloween, she also feels that many college party-goers use the holiday as an excuse for partying a little too hard.   

“The night before Halloween I went to a party and did see a lot of people getting very drunk and making bad decisions,” Williams said.

On the controversial topic of binge drinking on Halloween, NYU School of Nursing sophomore Emily Chang held a more neutral stance, feeling that the decision to be irresponsible was in the control of each individual and not a way to generalize all college students.

“I feel that Halloween is a great chance for people to just dress up and have fun,” Chang said. “Some people do take it too far and binge drink, but for me dressing up is why I love Halloween. Honestly, any holiday is an excuse to drink, but it just depends on how far you take it.”

Though many college students chose to dress up in elaborate costumes and stay out late, CAS sophomore Bismah Akhter opted for a different method of celebrating. 

“I spent my Halloween at home on Long Island where I spent the whole day studying for my upcoming midterms,” Akhter said. “Personally I’ve never been a big party person so I never really get why people party even harder during Halloween. But Halloween is different for everyone.”

When thinking about her plans for next Halloween, Ahkter does not feel her plans will be more extravagant.

“If I don’t have any midterms this time next year, I’ll probably just enjoy the night in and avoid the chaos on the streets,” Akhter said. “Honestly, for me Halloween is just another day on the calendar so I don’t think there will be much change for me next year.”

Meanwhile, Chang celebrated Halloween out with her friends, choosing to first try to check out the famous parade and then spend the rest of her night at a party.

“We tried to watch the parade, but it was too crowded,” Chang said. “I spent the night at a party because it was a nice break from midterms and a chance to get to know more people and just chill.”

A version of this story appeared in the Monday, Nov. 2 print issue. Email Christine Wang at [email protected]