Bieber discovers his ‘Purpose’ in new album

Justin Bieber’s new album, “Purpose,” is closer to a redemption than it is to an album.

via wikipedia.com

Jake Viswanath, Contributing Writer

The past couple years have been a rollercoaster for Justin Bieber, to say the least. Egged houses, a DUI arrest and other party boy antics have all led to intense backlash for Bieber. But instead of diving headfirst into tragic child star oblivion, Bieber is trying to change his path by making amends with the world, both emotionally and musically.

His newest album, “Purpose,” which was released Friday, is not as much of an album as it is a redemption arc. Bieber admits to his imperfections and justifies his actions throughout, best shown on one of the opening tracks, “I’ll Show You.” “This life’s not easy, I’m not made out of steel, don’t forget that I’m human, don’t forget that I’m real,” he croons atop a slowed down electro beat. The production is smooth and slinky, and the sentiment feels authentic, if not a little cliche.

He also attempts to apologize, literally. “Sorry,” a dancehall-influenced jam helmed by Skrillex, seems to be aimed at Selena Gomez, but as he says himself, “You know I try, but I don’t do too well with apologies”. While the message comes across as passive, the song still knocks with pounding beats and catchy hooks, resulting in one of the album’s most memorable highlights.

Don’t let his repentance fool you though: Bieber still has some pent up anger, and he’s not afraid to show it. He delivers cutting lines like “My mama don’t like you and she likes everyone” casually atop a sharp acoustic guitar on the Ed Sheeran co-penned “Love Yourself” that it makes one question the sincerity of his overall message. But isn’t everyone allowed moments of biting aggression, especially when it sounds as lovely and melodious as Bieber’s?

Ironically, the album reaches its peaks when when Bieber lets loose like a normal 21-year-old, the very thing that incited scrutiny in the first place. Luckily, he was smart enough to know his limits on the album. Lead single “What Do You Mean?” still sounds fresh, combining a ticking metronome and tropical house production with lyrics interpreted to promote consent, resulting in the most danceable and forward-thinking cut on the album. “Company” is the most seductive track on the album, as Bieber asks for a special someone’s company atop a thumping electro-R’n’B breakdown, while deluxe track “Been You” uses traditional pop melodies and production to create a classic-sounding hit.

One thing that is undeniably evident on the album is the growth in maturity of Bieber’s music.
Gone — well, mostly — are the watered down bops and manufactured emotion of his previous albums, being replaced with experimental R’n’B sheen, an array of electronic influences and decidedly mature subject matter. The album is not without flaw, often marred by its over-reliance on the comeback narrative, and still haunted by the ghosts of his teenybopper past at times. However, it’s the first time that many can say they enjoy Justin Bieber without feeling shame, showing a huge progression in quality. The potential for his next album, one created without the pressure of public redemption, is enormous, and the world should be waiting with open ears.

“Purpose” was released on Friday.

A version of this article appeared in the Nov. 16 print edition. Email Jake Viswanath at [email protected].