Swimming and diving teams top TCNJ

Junior, Elise Gibbs was victorious in two individual events,  the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard breaststroke on Saturday against TCNJ.

via gonyuathletics.com

Junior, Elise Gibbs was victorious in two individual events, the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard breaststroke on Saturday against TCNJ.

Anne Cruz, Contributing Writer

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams defeated The College of New Jersey squads during their home meet on Saturday. The women’s team dominated, with a final team score of 207-87, while the men’s team narrowly beat the Lions with a score of 151-147.

The undefeated Violets had several first place finishes from both men’s and women’s teams. Junior Elise Gibbs dominated in the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard breaststroke with times of 1:57.50 and 2:25.98, respectively. She also anchored the first place 200-yard medley with freshman May Li, sophomore Isabelle Kitze and senior
Krista Traub.

“A handful of our team was placed in some off events but they rose to it which was great to see,” Traub said. “We also really supported the men’s team because they had a very close meet.”

On the men’s side, junior Philip Kang won the 200-yard butterfly and the 200-yard individual medley with times of 1:54.61 and 1:54.54, respectively. While the Violets initially struggled, they emerged victorious through the last event: the 400-yard freestyle relay. Sophomore Tim Kou, sophomore Joe Baron, senior Win Htet Oo and senior Chad Moody came together to defeat the the Lions’ relay team with a time of 3:06.01.

“We’ve been training really hard the past few weeks and knew it’d be a tough win because they’re one of the fastest sprint teams in the country,” Baron said. “Ultimately it came down to the last race and we won. Even though everyone was pretty beat up, they still went after each race and that’s what it took to win.”

The Violets also dominated in diving, with NCAA national qualifying performances from junior Nia Sorgente and freshman Kelly Ryser. In addition, sophomore Dylan Adler placed second in the one-meter and three-meter competitions.

“I think that because everyone on our team and their team started out very strong, it motivated us to really focus and try to nail all our other dives,” Adler said.

In the upcoming weeks, the swimmers and divers hope to have a successful taper — a period of reduced training to prepare for a large competition — before heading to the MIT Winter Invitational in early December.

“I’m looking forward to tapering in preparation for the MIT Invitational,” Baron said. “Everyone needs some rest and I can’t wait to see how fast we can swim then.”

The men’s and women’s squad will re-enter the pool on Saturday, Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. when they take on Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York. They will then travel to Cambridge, Massachusetts for the MIT Winter Invitational from Dec. 4 to 6.

A version of this article appeared in the Nov. 16 print edition. Email Anne Cruz at [email protected].