Stay cozy with these warm drinks

Mallori Albright, Contributing Writer

Sometimes the only thing making your walk to class worth it is the toasty beverage you pick up on the way. WSN has done all of the hard work for you and compiled a list of places that you can go to grab some of the best hot drinks in the city. If you’d rather not brave the cold, we’ve also included an original drink recipe you can make right in your dorm.

The City Bakery
3 W. 18th St.

Even though The City Bakery is famous for their creative pastries and sweets, like their pretzel croissants and chocolate chip cookies, they are best known for their rich hot chocolate. The bakery sells a few different varieties of hot chocolate through the winter season, like the Rockettes High Kicking Hot Chocolate, made with dark chocolate and peppermint and available until Jan. 3. The City Bakery also has a hot chocolate festival that is favored by many during February when each day features a different flavor of hot chocolate. These include Polar Bear Cocoa, which is made with white chocolate, other unusual flavors such as lemon.

Cha-an Japanese Tea House
230 E. Ninth St.

If you want a hot drink that’s not quite as rich, consider making a visit to the Cha-an Japanese Tea House. This cozy tea house offers a full menu of teas ranging from oolong to Assam, but make sure to check out their signature matcha. While the powdered green tea has recently become trendy, here it’s made in traditional Japanese style — whipped with a special bamboo whisk and served in a delicate pottery bowl.

Union Square Greenmarket

If you want a nice warm beverage but you need to stay close to your dorm, take a quick walk to the Union Square Greenmarket. Open all day on Mondays, Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays, many vendors sell fresh hot apple cider made from their home grown apples. You can grab a cup to keep you warm while shopping, or just sit in the park and enjoy the crisp air.

Classic Hot Chocolate
Ingredients:

2 cups milk (can substitute coconut, soy, or almond milk)

2 cups half-and-half (this can also be switched out for a non-dairy creamer)

4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon brewed black coffee  

Marshmallows or whipped cream for serving

Instructions:

1. In a medium-sized pot or saucepan, bring the milk and half and half to a low simmer.
  2. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate.
  3. Once the chocolate is melted, add the sugar, vanilla and coffee. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
  4. Next, gently reheat the mixture on low heat, taking extra care not to let it boil.
  5.  Pour into mugs and add topping of your choice.

Note: For an extra kick to your chocolate, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of dark rum during the reheating process — provided you’re over 21, of course.

Email Mallori Albright at [email protected].