Guide to Thanksgiving in the city

via wikipedia.org

This year marks the 89th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Mallori Albright, Staff Writer

Staying in town for Thanksgiving weekend? Start planning, because there are plenty of options to celebrate the holiday around the city.

Apple Picking

Being located in New York City means that we have easy access to several states that have plenty of farms and orchards that are perfect for weekend excursions. One of the apple orchards that offers late-season apple picking is Wilkens Fruit and Fir Farm. Just a quick train ride on the Metro North Railroad, Wilkens provides a great apple picking experience with no charge for admission to the orchard. Go ahead and pick all the apples you want and pay by the weight. Also, don’t forget to stop by the three farmers’ markets on the property for delicious apple cider and apple baked goods.

Bryant Park Winter Village
Bryant Park

If you want to experience the winter holidays a few months ahead of time this year, check out the Winter Village. Officially known as the Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park, this holiday festival runs every day until Jan. 3, and it is located right in the heart of Manhattan behind the 42nd Street location of the New York Public Library. The Winter Village is the place to be if you want to experience a little bit of everything in your holiday fun. Bryant Park’s ice skating rink is free if you bring your own skates, and there are plenty of vendors selling everything from holiday tokens to fresh apple cider and hot chocolate.

Union Square Holiday Market
Union Square

Another great way to spend this weekend is just a few blocks north of the main NYU campus. Have some fun and get ahead in buying those holiday gifts at the Union Square Holiday Market. The Holiday Market is the perfect place to go during your Saturday browsing days or on your walk home from Palladium Brunch. Stop by one of the many tents in ever-popular Holiday Market and see if you can spot the perfect stocking stuffer or the best apple cider donut that you have ever had in your life.

Thanksgiving Day Parade
Begins at Herald Square: W 35th St.

Last but not least is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Macy’s parade is a must-see for Thanksgiving Day. Why watch the parade on TV when you can see it for yourself in person? Don’t forget to secure your spot along the parade route in order to get a good view of the balloons, or better yet, check out the balloons as they are being inflated the night before. Bundle up and head over to 79th Street and Columbus Avenue from 3 to 10 p.m. to watch your favorites take shape.

Email Mallori Albright at [email protected].