New Eats to Check Out Around Campus

January 25, 2016

With the new year and the new semester upon us, it’s time find a new restaurant to treat yourself to around campus

ABCV – 38 E 19th St., Union Square

After an eight month delay, Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s long awaited vegetarian version of his popular farm-to-table restaurant ABC Kitchen will soon be joining its predessor in the ABC Carpet and Home store on Broadway. ABCV, formerly known as ABC Home Grown, will be the award winning French chef’s first restaurant without any meat dishes. ABCV’s menu will include flavors from all across the globe but will exclude mock-meat dishes such as veggie burgers. According to Vongerichten himself, ABCV’s menu will be bean and root heavy and emulate the oven roasted vegetable dishes that are ABC Kitchen’s best sellers. ABCV is projected to open in late February or early March.

Quality Eats – 19 Greenwich Ave.

Michael Stillman, son of the founder of T.G.I. Friday’s, recently opened a spinoff of the Midtown steakhouse Quality Meats. The menu of Quality Eats offers lesser known and more student budget friendly steaks ranging from $19-29. The cuts of steaks aren’t the only things at Quality Eats that are unique, however. The menu also boasts entrees such as grilled bacon with peanut-butter-and-jalapeño jelly and creamed-spinach hush puppies and baked-potato monkey bread as side dishes. Quality Eats is now open for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch.

00 + Co – 65 Second Ave.

Plant-based diet chef Matthew Kennedy is opening a vegetarian spin off Co., the artisanal pizzeria in Chelsea. Completely vegan, 00 + Co’s pizza will be prepared in a wood burning oven and will be topped with nut-based cheeses, pestos and various vegetables. The restaurant’s menu will also boast small plates, vegan ice cream and organic wines. 00 + Co will open sometime in February.

Cafe Altro Paradiso – 234 Spring St., Hudson Square

Thomas Carter and Ignacio Mattos, the pair behind the eccentric mediterranean small-plate restaurant Estela, will soon be opening a new restaurant focused on Italian comfort food. Mattos has teased dishes such as bollito misto, lardo lasagnette, and ziti with broccoli and anchovies from Cafe Altro Paradiso’s fairly traditional Italian menu. The restaurant will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner in its bright open space ground by a large marble bar. Cafe Altro Paradiso is slated to open later this month.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 25 print edition. Email Taylor Nicole Rogers at [email protected].