6 Ways to Avoid Braving the Cold

Abigail Weinberg, Deputy Features Editor

In a season of early sunsets and dying New Year’s resolutions, it’s easy to find yourself down in the dumps. Here are some of the best  activities to take part in when you’re looking to beat the January blues.

Yarn crafts

Whip out some knitting needles or a crochet hook and get to work making yourself a cozy scarf to keep you warm for when you’re finally forced to venture outside. The possibilities are endless: knit socks, mittens, hats or even a sweater in a matter of hours. Your friends will be impressed when they ask you where you bought your new garments. Nothing can beat the satisfaction of knowing you made them yourself.

Baking

Warm yourself by the oven while whipping up some tasty treats to lift your spirits as temperatures drop. Winter is baking season, which means there is no better time to indulge in some homemade cookies or brownies. Better yet, invite a few friends over and share the goodies you’ve created over a few cups of hot chocolate or tea.

Working out

You certainly won’t be shivering if you’re busy breaking a sweat at the Palladium Athletic Facility. Exercising is a great way to work off those holiday calories while boosting your mood. As gray as the winter may seem, warm weather and revealing clothes are right around the corner, and you’re going to want to make sure you’re fully prepared.

HBO Go

Why Netflix and chill when you can huddle under the covers with HBO Go? This service is free to NYU students living in residence halls, so curl up and relax with “True Detective” or “Sex and the City.” If HBO programs don’t particularly appeal to you, get in on the documentary everyone’s talking about and check out Netflix’s “Making a Murderer.”

Museum of American Finance

We all know about the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but history buffs will find a special treat at the Museum of American Finance at 48 Wall St. Special exhibits include a retrospective on the role of gold in American culture, “Worth Its Weight,” plus an Alexander Hamilton room, which was originally his office as president of the Bank of New York. What’s more, admission is only $5 for students, so it won’t break the bank.

Ice skating

Ice skating may be the single most enjoyable way to weather the frigid temperatures outside while keeping your heart rate up. Fortunately, New York is home to several famous ice skating rinks in Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, Central Park and Prospect Park. Bring your own skates or rent them at the rink, but be sure to bundle up.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 25 print edition. Email Abigail Weinberg at [email protected].