Men’s NYFW Goes Gender Neutral

Rachel Kaplan

The menswear presented at a show by Ricardo Seco this past New York Fashion Week.

Courtney Marino, Contributing Writer

Alexander McQueen told NYMag in 2009, “It’s a new era in fashion — there are no rules.” This sentiment rings true once again. The looks and styles from various men’s fashion weeks all over the world have certainly supported McQueen’s proclamation that there truly are no rules tied to the art
of fashion.

Within this contemporary realm of men’s fashion, preconceived masculine norms have been pushed aside. This year, renowned designers seem to be refuting the traditional sense of men’s fashion. Trends and fabrics that are classically considered to be quite feminine have dominated men’s runways so far this season. Women’s fashion staples such as floral prints, long and elegant overcoats and draping tunics have been appropriated into menswear collections. Even opulent silks and furs are no longer reserved solely for the ladies. Alexander McQueen, Versace, Fendi and Giorgio
Armani all notably incorporated a layer of shag into certain looks, tastefully denoting an air
of femininity.

In addition to lots of fur, subdued details related to nature have also been prominent. From Gucci’s floral suits to Valentino’s embroidered
feathers, Mother Earth has certainly served as a popular muse this season.  Other trends to look out for include plaids, bomber jackets, jumpsuits, metallic chrome accents and western-inspired details.

We should expect to see a continued and strong presence of androgynous styles gracing the Men’s New York Fashion Week stages in the upcoming weeks. It would not be surprising to see female models strut alongside the men down the catwalk, invading the men’s runways in New York. In fact, Balmain, Burberry, Calvin Klein, Givenchy and Gucci all incorporated women into their respective shows this season. This may seem too unconventional to some, but fashion has never abided by conventions
of any kind.

A version of this story appeared in the Feb. 1 print edition. Email Courtney Marino at [email protected].