The Battle for Food Delivery App Supremacy

There are many food delivery services available which can help NYU students who are looking for an alternative to dining hall foods.

Anna Letson

Kate Howard, Contributing Writer

When NYU students become tired of dining hall pizza and Palladium salads, many combat their variety dilemma by using food delivery services. While most students at NYU use Seamless for delivery, there are many other food delivery services around campus — such as Maple, Caviar and Postmates — that offer different approaches to food delivery.

Maple is a newer app founded by David Chang, the founder of the Momofuku restaurants, delivering in the NYC area below 42nd Street. The app is distinguishable from other competitors because it offers a choice of five ready-made meals for lunch and dinner instead of catering from other restaurants. The meal options change every day and include fresh, farm-to-table ingredients. Both lunch and dinner have an inclusive flat rate of $12 for lunch and $15 for dinner, with a delivery time of around 30 minutes.

Pro: Affordable meals prepared by big-name chefs

Con: Limited number of options

If you are looking for a little more variety, Caviar is a useful app. It is located in 14 different cities and delivers to Manhattan and Brooklyn. The app is easy to use and sorts restaurants by cuisines. It includes restaurants like Baohaus and Otto’s Tacos that Seamless doesn’t have, but they have a $9.99 delivery fee, so ordering for Caviar can be a more expensive service.

Pro: A wider range of restaurants

Con: Higher prices

If you are used to Seamless and are looking for a similar alternative, Postmates would be a good option. The two apps share similar layouts and have a large variety of restaurants from which to choose. While Seamless delivery prices vary by restaurant, Postmates has a delivery fee of $5 and a 9 percent service fee. It delivers to Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens and is open all hours of the day, on-demand.

Pro: Fast delivery

Con: Additional service fee

While most students seem to favor Seamless, some have had mixed experiences with the company.

“I’ve had times where my food never arrived,” CAS junior Lydia Nieto said. “Seamless was able to refund me my money, but didn’t contact the restaurant to find out what went wrong, which wasn’t so great. That happened twice, but other times it has been speedy.”

Even with these mixed experiences, students continue to use Seamless. “It’s good,” said Connor Borden, a freshman in CAS. “It takes a long time, but it always shows up.”

A version of this article appeared in the Feb. 8 print edition. Email Kate Howard at [email protected]