Try These Activities Instead of Making Ben and Jerry Your Valentine’s Day Dates

Nothing+says+Happy+Valentines+Day+like+receiving+chocolate+from+your+loved+ones.+

Ashley Arnold

Nothing says Happy Valentine’s Day like receiving chocolate from your loved ones.

Ashley Arnold, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day is meant to be shared with loved ones, whether it’s your significant other or your squad of friends. No one should be forced to stay home under the covers with a carton of Ben and Jerry’s, as tempting as that may sound. So, here are some activities singles and couples could do on this special day.

Museums

If you’re an art or history fiend, why not visit a museum with your loved ones? NYU students have free admission to several museums including The Museum of Modern Art, which even offers Valentine’s Day tours. Other good options for students include The Museum of the Moving Image, The Rubin Museum of Art and The Whitney Museum of American Art. If you’re looking for an interactive museum experience, try the American Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side. General admission is donation-based, but if you want to see a special show or exhibit, student admission is $22.

Ice Skating

The city is full of ice skating rinks, perfect for those who want to channel their inner Michelle Kwan, as well as those who’d rather hold onto the rail and allow their friends to encourage them to learn how to skate.

Bryant Park offers free admission, but there are additional fees for rental skates and lockers. Although a pricier option, Wollman Rink is hosting a Valentine’s Day Special for $60 that includes two adult admissions, two skate rentals, two hot chocolates and two cookies. If you want skating and a view, check out Brookfield Place where it costs $15 for 90 minutes of skating and $5 for the skate rental.

Comedy Show

Who doesn’t like to have a good laugh? A comedy club is the perfect way to kick back and enjoy quality entertainment. Comic Strip Live on the Upper East Side will be hosting a show from 8-10 p.m. on Valentine’s Day. General admission is $20 with an additional fee of $2.50 if you order online. If you want an option closer to campus, stop by Comedy Cellar on MacDougal St.

Chinese New Year Celebration

The Chinese New Year parade happens to fall on Feb. 14 this year. The parade, which begins at 1 p.m., will be held in Chinatown and will make its way down Mott St., Canal St., Bayard St. and East Broadway.

Cooking

Rather than going out to eat, it would be more romantic to make a meal for the one you love. Breakfast in bed would be a great way to start off someone’s Valentine’s Day on the right note, with heart-shaped toast and eggs. If you’re not much of a morning person, then prepare a nice dinner featuring your significant other’s favorite foods. If you’re single, then baking some sweet treats and desserts with friends can turn into nice bonding time. And turn on a romantic comedy while you’re at it!

Spa Day

Since Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday, some relaxation should be in order. A nice massage is much needed at the end of a rough school week. For a serene environment and very friendly staff, head over to Essential Therapy Spa in the Flatiron district — you’ll have access to the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room at no additional cost. If you’re looking for something even closer to campus, check out Bellissimo Nails & Spa to get a manicure and pedicure.

Valentine’s Day should be a day for all of your loved ones to enjoy, so make the most of it!

Email Ashley Arnold at [email protected].