Monique Lhuillier Fall/Winter 2016

Natalia Barr, Staff Writer

Monique Lhuillier rejected the typical frills and princess ball gowns of her well-known wedding dresses and red carpet ensembles in her Fall/Winter 2016 collection, instead appealing to the modern, relaxed, rock n’ roll woman.

A vivid color palette of cherry, teal blue, rose pink and basil, contrasted with caramel and dark amber tones gave the collection its 1970s rocker-chic vibe, and was complemented by metallic hues throughout. Fanciful prints of paisleys and florals nodded to 70’s muses. Lhuillier even pointed to actress and style icon Talitha Gray as a source of inspiration for the psychedelic but sophisticated pieces.

The designer played with separates and tailoring more than in any other season for this collection, with pencil skirts, cropped pants and collared blouses.  The styling of a basil metallic floral jacquard skirt with a high slit paired with a black and gold chiffon blouse and forest green chinchilla jacket gave an individual look the luxurious, vibrant vibe that Lhuillier sought throughout the collection.    

Lhuillier was able to send her signature gowns down the runway without losing her collection’s rock n’ roll vibe. Unlike the sleek and body-hugging number of last fall season, Lhuillier brought back tulle—and lots of it. A particular cherry tulle tiered gown was a mature take on a tutu, and could be envisioned on red carpets this season.
A playful but sophisticated vibe was present in every look, right down to the shoes. Shiny sky-high stilettos were worn with metallic socks. Hair was down and natural to be true to the collection’s ‘70s rocker-chick personality.

Email Natalia Barr at [email protected].