If the MTA Won’t, NYU Should Supplement Student Travel Fees

WSN Editorial Board

Last week, the Collegiate Congress, a city-wide student rights advocacy organization, met with MTA officials. One proposal the Congress is fighting for is a discount on monthly Unlimited MetroRide Cards for New York City college students. For New York University’s sizable commuter population which relies on public transportation, even a small discount would amount to big savings. However, to expect this handout from the MTA would be misguided. It is the responsibility of NYU, not the MTA, to supplement the transportation expenses of its students.

The MTA is not in a position to give discounts to college students, or pretty much anyone else for that matter. Its budget has been continually slashed by representatives in Albany, all while new, expensive crowd-pleasing spending projects are announced. Underfunding is such an open secret that MTA Chairman Tom Prendergast publicly declared a crisis this past summer. This goes a long way in explaining why, currently, the MTA only supports reduced fare for seniors and those with disabilities. With over half a million students enrolled in NYC schools by some estimates, even a small discount on monthly Unlimited MetroRide Cards would deprive the MTA of revenue and further risk the financial integrity of the public transportation system. It may be possible for the MTA to recoup losses if enough students purchase cards, but it is a risky gamble for an already strained system.

On principle, it is not clear why the MTA should be obligated to support discounts for students in the first place. Private universities, such as NYU, are not as intimately tied to local communities as public colleges are. It is difficult to make the argument that the city is obligated to support the transportation needs of increasing amounts of out-of-state and international students who choose to attend universities like NYU while native New Yorkers bear the full cost. This is not to say that NYU students are somehow less deserving, or are in less need of support. However, it is unreasonable to expect city and state authorities to place the struggles of temporary or non-residents above those of locals.

For nearly all NYU students, public transportation is necessary for gaining the most out of their experience in NYC, and for commuters it is the only way to get an education. Many students cannot keep up with the rising cost of city housing, and with the limited availabilities in campus housing, NYU’s promise of a full city experience rings hollow. Financially supplementing the travel expenses of students, especially those of the growing commuter community, should be in the best interest of the university. It is only fair that the school which promises students gathered from far and wide a chance to explore the city should help them make the most of the opportunity.

Email the WSN Editorial Board at [email protected].