Staff Recs: Songs That Get Stuck in Your Head

For Tia Ramos, Rihanna’s “Distubia” is a tune that she cannot get out of her head.

Staff

Just in case you need more earworms that constantly annoy you and prevent you from falling asleep.

“Temperature” By Sean Paul

What is he even saying? Why are the lyrics so creepy? Where is Sean Paul now? Does he have another song? Will I ever get sick of “Temperature”? No. — Zach Martin, Arts Editor

“Disturbia” by Rihanna

Bum bum be-dum bum bum be-dum bum. On the bus, in class, lying in bed — these four bars plague me. It’s as if Dante construed another circle in Inferno for people who listened to bad pop in middle school, with their punishment being to forever listen to Rihanna’s “Disturbia.” For as long as I can remember, the default setting in my brain is “Disturbia,” and I have little faith that it will ever not be “Disturbia.” You may not believe it was the catchiest song in 2008, but spend an hour with me and my quiet hums will surely change your mind. — Tia Ramos, Under the Arch Editor

“Genghis Khan” by Miike Snow

I first came across this song for its music video, which is the perfect combination of quirky, referential and endearing. But the dance-song melody and addicting refrain have since lodged this earworm deep into my brain. Though the title and refrain for this song are enigmatic, a feature shared by other pop songs — think “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani — any work that makes you sing about a 12th century Mongol warlord while taking a shower deserves some respect. And much like the song’s namesake, this tune is bound to spread far and wide. — Abraham Gross, Deputy Opinion Editor

“The Perfect Space” by The Avett Brothers

When I realize that I’m singing under my breath and probably freaking out the people next to me on the subway, I’m usually singing “The Perfect Space” by the Avett Brothers. Luckily, the lyrics are uplifting, so I hopefully don’t sound like a psycho — “I wanna fit in to the perfect space / feel natural and safe in a volatile space.” The song starts out slow and contemplative, then builds to a foot-stomping crescendo, so it’s basically the perfect soundtrack for any mood. — Kendall Levison, Features Editor

Email the Arts Desk at [email protected].