No-No, Homers Carry Softball to 25-0 Drubbing

Diana+King+hit+her+first+home-run+for+the+NYU+Women%E2%80%99s+Softball+team+in+their+huge+wins+against+Baruch+College.+

via gonyuathletics.com

Diana King hit her first home-run for the NYU Women’s Softball team in their huge wins against Baruch College.

Tony Schwab, Contributing Writer

The NYU softball team defeated the winless Baruch College this past Thursday, when the teams met in doubleheader action. They won the first game 25-0 and the second 11-0, both in a shortened five innings. In the second game, freshmen Karissa Zubulake and Olivia Mould combined to no-hit Baruch. The team had a whopping 19 extra base hits and capitalized off a shoddy Baruch defense which committed seven errors. The Violets batted well over .600 in the two game span, and mismatch or not, the day should go down as one of the best of the year for NYU sports.

Things went the Violets’ way from the very start. Freshman Diana King had a leadoff homer against Baruch pitcher Cassandra Lagana. The Violets were able to mount a two-out rally as well, with freshmen Claire Stefanelli and Ashley Mains along with junior captain Val Schwein contributing to what would turn out to be a five-run first.

The next two innings saw even more extensive Violets offense. They had six runs in the second, and added 11 more in the third — an inning which saw the Violets bat around twice and crack 11 hits. In the fourth inning, freshman Dakota Damiani drove in two, while Mains and Mould each drove in one.

Junior Jacqueline Tremblay got the win, pitching three shutout innings while allowing only two hits and striking out two batters. She was relieved by freshman Katherine Piorkowski, who pitched the final two innings, allowing two hits and striking
out one.

In the second game of the day, King doubled down, belting another leadoff home run — an impressive feat even at the college level. The Violets would go on to score four more over the next two innings, stringing together base hits small and large.

The Violets saved their biggest inning for the fourth, scoring six runs in the frame. Scheiwiller, Mains, Piorkowski, junior Samantha Block and freshman Cassi Parulis all had RBIs.

The no-hitter that Zubulake and Mould combined for featured no walks, with the only baserunner coming from an error. It’s just the second no-hitter in team history, with the other coming from sophomore Sage Scheiwiller last April.

With the wins, the Violets are 7-9 for the season. They travel to New Jersey this Thursday to play another doubleheader against Rutgers University-Newark.

A version of this article appeared in the March 21 print edition. Email Tony Schwab at [email protected].