Baseball Stumbles Their Way to Sixth Straight Loss

Freshman+Ryan+McLaughlin++finished+his+game+Wednesday+with+two+runs+and+a+triple.+

via gonyuathletics.com

Freshman Ryan McLaughlin finished his game Wednesday with two runs and a triple.

Tony Schwab, Contributing Writer

Six is an unlucky number for the NYU baseball team as losing both games of a doubleheader against Centenary College Wednesday has made six losses in a row, causing them to drop to 4-12 this season

The Violets led for much of the first game and opened the scoring in the second inning. After a pair of singles and a walk loaded the bases, sophomore third basemen Christian Bloom struck out before junior outfielder Chris Ma earned himself a walk to bring home a run. Freshman outfielder Jack Walter quickly grounded out to end the inning and a chance for the Violets to jump out to an early lead. This failure to capitalize on a potential rally situation would come back to haunt the Violets.

NYU added a run to their lead in the fifth, when freshman middle infielder Ryan McLaughlin tripled and sophomore shortstop Jake Smith singled to bring him home.

Entering the seventh, the Violets held a 2-0 lead, with sophomore pitcher Cam Serapilio-Frank holding Centenary to five hits. Unfortunately, this performance quickly came undone. Centenary’s Casey Brown opened with a double and moved to third on a groundout. Sal Smith reached base on a hit by pitch, and Nick Koffel then drove home Brown. At this point things seemed to really get to Serapilio-Frank, as he hit Nick Danielle. He was then replaced by freshman Paul Gadaleta, who promptly gave up a double to Kevin Sensale, driving in three runs and making it 4-2 Centenary

NYU cut the lead to one when Bloom drove in sophomore catcher Scott Hilbrandt with a single in the eighth. But it didn’t last long when it was wiped out after Nick Daniele hit a solo homer in the top of the ninth. The Violets had the tying run at the plate in the bottom of the ninth after Ma led off with a single, but three straight groundouts ended the game. Roberto Aromando got the win for Centenary, 5-3.

The second game, a seven inning one due to the doubleheader, went much worse for the Violets.

Things started out poorly, with Centenary scoring two runs off sophomore pitcher Michael Vokulich in the first inning. NYU was blanked in the first two innings, but had a chance in the third. Bloom led off the inning by singling on bunt and then reached second on a balk. Freshman shortstop Jack Elias’ groundout moved him to third with one out, but it would prove to be another wasted opportunity as a pair of consecutive groundouts ended the inning

The game would stay quiet until the fourth, when Centenary had a big inning, scoring four. Unlike the Violets, Centenary managed to take advantage of mistakes by the other team — the Violets had three fielding errors in that inning alone.

NYU got two back in the bottom of the sixth. Senior catcher CJ Picerni drove in Jack Walter with a groundout and McLaughlin scored on an error. This was the final productive inning for the Violets, who dropped to 4-12 after the 7-2 defeat. They play their next game against Yeshiva on Friday at home.

Email Tony Schwab at [email protected].