Track Goes to Raleigh for Easter Weekend

via gonyuathletics.com

Jorge Maldonado was one of several NYU students who broke their personal records.

Ashley Arnold, Staff Writer

The men’s and women’s track and field teams had a busy Easter weekend competing along the East Coast. The teams were first in action on Thursday at the Raleigh Relays hosted by North Carolina State University. The NYU 4×1500-meter relay team finished in fifth place and were first among Division III schools with a time of 16:23.82. Junior Nick Karam, senior Daniel Rieger and sophomores Max Mudd and Karn Setya competed brilliantly in the event. In the 4×800-meter relay, senior Max Avila, sophomore Vince Booth, freshman Soham Kamat and junior Curtis Mann finished in ninth place with a time of 7:49.94.

Meanwhile, the 4×200-meter relay team of senior Caleb Su, junior captain Budd Brown, senior captain Matthew Powers and sophomore Malcolm Montilus secured 11th place on the men’s side. Brown felt it was a good weekend of racing at both meets.

“We had several people hit personal records and those who didn’t got pretty close,” Brown said. “Everyone’s in great shape right now, so we’re looking forward to a promising season.”

Over the weekend, the teams split, with some staying in Raleigh for day two and others going to the Stockton University Invitational out in Galloway, NJ. The Violets’ 4×800-meter relay team of senior Lydia Guo, sophomore Ireland Gibson, senior Sarah Sisk and senior Becky Turlip placed 10th, making them first among Division III teams with a time of 9:19.43. In the 4×200-meter relay, seniors Kristina Harris and Drew Washington, along with freshmen Danielle Murray and Mary Conti blazed their way to a program-record time of 1:44.38.

The Stockton Invite was also action packed. For the men, sophomore Sherman King started things off the day by recording a career-best height of 4.20 meter in the pole vault, good enough for first. Freshmen made their mark when William Lee set a new personal-best height of 1.93 meter in the high jump and Yohan Su managed a third-place finish in the long jump. In the 1,500-meter, junior Nathaniel Picard-Busky finished fourth and senior Eddie Cruz-Desintonio in seventh, while sophomore Jordan Reyes and freshman Brandon Shirazi claimed ninth and 10th place respectively.

Junior Simone Cooper snagged first place in the triple jump with a career-best jump of 10.70 meters. Sophomore Brianna Yee and senior Danielle Medellin claimed fifth and sixth place. Junior Erica Bohdan almost landed in first place in the 1,500-meter, but a 0.3 second difference placed her in second. In the 100-meter hurdles Sophomores Maggie Lalowski and Emily Dethlefs finished in fourth and fifth. Medellin took sixth place, while freshman Chelle Mitchell and sophomore Harper Randolph finished in eighth and tenth place. Mitchell believed the team did well in New Jersey considering the wind on Saturday.

“There was some good competition at the meet and it was a good season opener, but we still have work to do,” Mitchell said. “There’s a lot of room for improvements.”

The Violets will compete in the Roadrunner Invitational hosted by Ramapo College next Saturday.

A version of this article appeared in the March 28 print edition. Email Ashley Arnold at [email protected].