Removal of Anti-Vaccine Film Triumph for Science

Emily Fong, Deputy Opinion Editor

Over the weekend, Tribeca Film Festival co-founder and actor Robert De Niro stirred controversy by pulling a documentary from the festival’s lineup. The film in question, called “Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe,” was removed after De Niro backtracked on his initial decision to include the film. De Niro intended for the screening to be an opportunity to discuss the implications of vaccines as they relate to diseases like autism. Since “Vaxxed” was cut from the lineup, many have taken issue with what they believe are free speech violations, with petitions calling for the film’s reinstatement, garnering the support of thousands. However, the documentary’s removal is not and should not be the free speech battleground supporters are making it out to be.

Firstly, critics should note the lacking credibility of Andrew Wakefield, one of the film’s contributors. Wakefield is infamous for authoring a now-debunked study that linked the use of vaccines to instances of autism. Not only was the information he published found to be scientifically flawed, he was also found guilty of several financial and ethical violations — including taking blood samples from children at his son’s birthday party. Wakefield’s “research” forms much of the basis for the anti-vax movement, one that most health officials agree is putting actual lives in danger. Obviously, having an unpopular opinion is not reason enough to effectively silence someone. However, Wakefield’s opinions about vaccines are not just out of the mainstream, they are actively harmful to society at large and his ideas have been discredited over and over again since their original publication in 1998.

Wakefield and his supporters still have plenty of outlets that will publish and disseminate their content, whether those outlets are established institutions like Tribeca or self-publishing services like YouTube and other streaming sites. The Tribeca Film Festival has grown into a bona fide film organization that takes pride in its prestige; it should abide by its reputation for quality. Besides, if Wakefield’s film is as groundbreaking as he makes it out to be, then pushing “Vaxxed” to streaming might be a better decision. Tribeca is not the right platform.

In summary, the decision to pull “Vaxxed” was the right one. There is no defensible reason to prop up the ravings of a discredited hack as a pillar of free speech. Advocates have more important things to do than feed the ego of a modern day doctor of doom. De Niro’s intention to include “Vaxxed” to generate discussion is admirable, but it would be fruitless to argue against what has been confirmed several times over by decades of research. Wakefield’s claims, while controversial, won’t generate any more intelligent discussion now than it has in the last 15 years.

Email Emily Fong at [email protected].