Serapilio-Frank Shines for Baseball Over Weekend

via gonyuathletics.com

Sophomore pitcher Cameron Serapilio-Frank threw seven shut-out innings in the game against CCNY.

Rachel Ruecker, Deputy Sports Editor

The NYU men’s baseball team took on the City College of New York in a doubleheader at home in Brooklyn this weekend. NYU came out on top in both of the weekend’s outings.

Friday’s game was a low-scoring affair, but NYU was able to pull out a 2-0 win. Runs came few and far between with the Violets getting on the board first in the second inning on a single from sophomore infielder Andrew Cilento that scored sophomore infielder Jonathan Iaione. The Violets’ second run was on another single in the fifth inning, this time from freshman second baseman Ryan McLaughlin, with freshman center fielder Jack Walter easily crossing the plate.

Saturday’s game offered a much different flavor, with NYU delivering a 10-2 shellacking to CCNY on senior day. The team’s three departing seniors, catcher CJ Picerni, left fielder Adrian Spitz and pitcher Jacob Bader, were celebrated pre-game.

CCNY stalled after scoring two in the first inning, going cold for the remainder of the game. NYU came out hot in the third after a scoreless second, tallying four runs. After getting hit by a pitch, McLaughlin, along with Walter, made it home on an error to tie things at two. The go-ahead runs came from freshman first baseman Colman Hendershot and Spitz thanks to a two-run single from sophomore shortstop Jake Smith.

NYU pulled further ahead in the fifth inning, with their fifth run coming via an RBI single from Hendershot. Hendershot then went on to score on a passed ball to earn the Violets their sixth run, and Smith played copycat, stealing third and coming all the way home due to yet another throwing error.

McLaughlin sent Iaione home in the sixth inning on a fielding error. The final two runs came in the seventh; first, sophomore Michael Vokulich scored on CCNY’s fifth error of the game, the second came from freshman infielder Jack Elias hitting a groundout and scoring sophomore catcher Scott Hilbrandt.

The remaining two innings were scoreless across the board.Sophomore Chase Denison got his first win of the season, pitching seven innings with two unearned runs. Spitz is hopeful that this pair of wins will propel the team to further success.

“It was a great weekend,” said Spitz. “Those wins will hopefully get us going for the second half of the season.”

The baseball team be will right back again tomorrow against the State University of New York at New Paltz in New Paltz, New York at 4 p.m.

A version of this article appeared in the April 4 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].