End-of-Week Wrap-Up: Tennis, Baseball and Softball

Diana+King+pitched+excellently+for+the+NYU+Womens+Softball+teams+win+against+Farmingdale+State.+

via gonyuathletics.com

Diana King pitched excellently for the NYU Women’s Softball team’s win against Farmingdale State.

Tony Schwab, Contributing Writer

NYU athletics took a back seat the last few days as the yearly Fringe issue was released. However, the WSN Sports Desk has you covered. From the tennis court to the diamond, that last few days have been full of actions for NYU sports.

Men’s Tennis (4-9)

The most inspiring results of the week came from the men’s tennis team. It has not been an easy year, but a 9-0 win against Baruch on Tuesday raised the team’s record to 4-9. The first win came from senior captain Sidd Thangirala, who was stretched to three sets, finishing 6-3, 3-6, 10-7. This was the only close match of the day. Freshman Benedict Teoh, junior Umberto Setter, sophomore Samuel Khoshbin, junior Matt DeMichiel and freshman Yanik Parsch each had easy straight-set wins. The team also won the three doubles matches in blowouts, with a combined score of 24 games to four. However, in UAA action against Emory University on Thursday, the Violets were outplayed, losing 8-1.

Baseball (12-18)

It has been a much worse week for the baseball team. They were swept in a two-game set against St. Joseph’s College-Brooklyn on Thursday to fall to 12-18. The first game was very close, with the Violets holding a 1-0 lead going into the final inning. Junior outfielder Adrian Spitz had given the Violets the lead in the first with an RBI single and senior pitcher Jacob Bader shut out St. Joseph’s for the first six innings. Unfortunately Bader had trouble in the seventh and final inning, allowing a run, and was eventually relieved by sophomore closer Matthew Millus. But two Violets errors led to two more runs in the inning and St. Joseph’s stole the win.

Fueled by its comeback win, St. Joseph’s lead much earlier on in the second game. Sophomore captain Michael Vokulich had a rough start, giving up five runs in four innings. He was relieved by freshman Eli Edwards, who allowed another run to come across. Their jobs were made difficult by the defense, which was charged with eight errors after allowing four in the first game. Their only run came in the fifth inning, when freshman infielder Jack Elias drove in freshman outfielder Jack Walter. The Violets play next against SUNY New Paltz on Friday at home, weather permitting.

Softball (13-13)

The softball team, on the other hand, was terrific in their sweep against Farmingdale State College to rise to .500. In the first game, a 6-3 win, freshman Karissa Zubulake pitched five innings and gave up two earned runs. The Violets took the lead in the third inning, scoring four runs. Freshman outfielder Diana King, senior captain Kahala Bonsignore and freshman Dakota Damiani each drove runs in. They each added a run in the fourth and sixth innings. The first of the those two runs came courtesy of a Molly Webber solo homer.

The Violets opened the floodgates in second game, which only lasted five innings due to the mercy rule. They had four in the first, with freshman outfielder Ashley Mains driving in two runs. She would also drive in the first of three runs in the second, followed by an RBI single from junior third baseman Molly Webber. They added three more in the third. King had a gem on the mound, pitching all five shutout innings and allowing only three hits. It was a great 10-0 win for Violets softball, who play two games against the College of Staten Island at home on Friday.

Email Tony Schwab at [email protected]