Baseball Has Up and Down Weekend While Softball Dominates

via gonyuathletics.com

Sophomore Chase Denison pitches a complete game shutout, the first in NYU DIII history.

Ashley Arnold, Staff Writer

A seemingly endless slate of games for NYU’s baseball and softball teams yielded mixed results. The baseball team felt the dual sensations of sweeping and getting swept, while the softball team experienced solid results.

Baseball

The Violets were swept in a doubleheader against SUNY New Paltz on Friday. They dropped the first game 6-1. New Paltz put three runs on the scoreboard within in the top of the fourth. In response, freshman first baseman Colman Hendershot managed to get a run in with an RBI groundout that plated freshman outfielder Jack Walter, resulting in a 3-1 score. No more runs were scored by the Violets. In Game two the Violets did not manage a single run. Freshman pitcher Chad Johnstone struck out three of New Paltz’s batters in five innings.

The Violets crushed the College of Staten Island on Sunday with a sweep. Sophomore infielder Jonathan Iaione scored due to an error made by the College of Staten Island in the fourth inning of the first game. Sophomore fielder Christian Bloom kicked off the bottom of the fifth with a single. After a proceeding Walter walk, junior outfielder Adrian Spitz cleared the bases with a double to make it 3-0. Spitz was singled in by Smith leading to the Violets to make it 4-0, a score that would stand.

In the second game, freshman pitcher Jack Kurtenbach made his collegiate debut and went for 3 2/3 innings with only one earned run and four strikeouts. The Violets scored three runs in the bottom of the first inning thanks to RBI singles by Iaione and sophomore outfielder Michael Vokulich, as well as a sacrifice fly by freshman infielder Jack Elias. CSI scored in the second inning, but the Violets scored three more runs in the third. The Violets got in their last three runs with the help of Bloom and Vokulich, finishing CSI 11-4.

The Violets will be back on the field Wednesday, April 27, for a game against College of Mount St. Vincent in Coney Island.

Softball

The softball team also played College of Staten Island this weekend in a doubleheader on Friday. After dropping the first game, NYU came back strong and took the second one. The Violets’ bats were silenced in the first game, and CSI’s two runs were all that was needed. Freshman pitcher Cassi Parulis tossed 4 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on six hits.

The Violets regrouped and plated two runs in the first inning of the second game. They also scored two runs in the second inning, one in the third and two in the fourth. Freshman pitcher Diana King pitched a complete game one-hit shutout while striking out six in a 7-0 Violet victory.

The Violets kept it rolling on Saturday with a doubleheader against SUNY Old Westbury, taking both games. Junior pitcher Jacqueline Tremblay pitched five shutout innings, while junior third baseman Molly Webber started the domino effect with a bases-clearing triple in the fifth inning, putting NYU in a large 5-0 lead. SUNY Old Westbury was blanked 8-0. The beat went on in the second game. Freshman pitcher Karissa Zubalake only allowed two runs, while also managing to pitch a complete game.

To wrap up the weekend, the women played against Manhattanville College on Sunday in a doubleheader. They split, winning game one with a score of 9-4 and losing game two in a tight battle, losing 6-5.

The Violets are back in action against Drew University on Wednesday, April 27 at the Bahoshy Softball Complex.

A version of this article appeared in the April 25 print edition. Email Ashley Arnold at [email protected].