Track on Course Near End of Season

Via gonyuathletics.com

NYU broke a school record and placed third in the 4×400 relay.

Rachel Ruecker, Deputy Sports Editor

The NYU track teams were back in action this past weekend at the UAA Championships hosted by Washington University in St. Louis. Both teams ran well, with the men’s team impressing with a third-place finish and the women’s team coming in sixth.

The Violets had a number of top finishes, included the men’s 4×400-meter relay team which came in first with a time of 3:16.52. The men’s squad also competed hard in the 4×800-meter race where they finished in third with a time of 7:46.25. Meanwhile. the women’s relay teams also performed well, placing fifth in the 4×800-meter and third in the 4×400-meter.

Junior Budd Brown also came out on top, winning the 200-meter dash in a blistering 21.66. Senior Matt Powers, sophomore Malcolm Montilus and junior Caleb Su came in third, fifth and eighth respectively.

In the hurdles, junior Nick Torsitano came in fifth, while sophomore Daniel Sovich crossed the line in eighth.

Senior Max Avila also had a notable finish, coming third in 800-meter race with a time of 1:52.08. He was extremely pleased with the team’s competition level this weekend.

“Our boys came through for us this weekend,” said Avila. “Great performance from the sprinters, many of them bringing home more than a couple gold medals. The distance and middle distance carried their weight in individual and relay events bringing some points home for NYU as well.”

A number of Violets were present in the men’s 10,000-meter race as well, with junior Jorge Maldonado coming out on top of a competitive field with a time of 13:17.37. He also participated in the 5000-meter where he came in fifth, sophomore Karn Setya came in a sharp second.

To highlight more of the women’s action, senior Rebecca Turlip came in fifth in the 1500-meter, finishing the kilometer and a half in 4:46.17. 

In the pole vault, NYU came in sixth and seventh with senior Ilana Brown and junior Dana Placentra both vaulting to a height of 3.21-meters.

Junior long jumper Simone Cooper came in sixth in her contest, jumping a distance of 5.08-meters. Cooper also came out strong in the triple jump where she came in second, ahead of many fellow Violets who also battled hard.

NYU’s runners will be back again next weekend competing in the Princeton University Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey on Friday.

A version of this article appeared in the April 25 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].