Bstyle: A Fashionable Year in Review

Bstyle: A Fashionable Year in Review

Gabriella Bower, Beauty and Style Editor

The industry underwent major restructuring. Designers left, fashion week locations and formats changed and movements continued.

bstyle year 1

JULY 2015

New York Fashion Week Men’s premiered the second week of July. For the first time in NYFW history, men’s fashion had a week of their own, which shows just how serious men’s Ready-To-Wear is being taken in the industry. Skylight Clarkson hosted NYFW Men’s which became the new home for NYFW both men and women’s; the former runway locations at Lincoln Center were officially retired.

JULY 29, 2015

Alexander Wang left Balenciaga.

bstyle year 3

SEPTEMBER 2015

The PlusIsEqual campaign launched by fashion brand Lane Bryant premiered. Industry made strides towards body positivity.

OCTOBER 22, 2015

Raf Simons left Dior.

OCTOBER 27, 2015

Women’s Wear Daily predicted that the  fashion industry is headed towards a burnout.

OCTOBER 28, 2015

Albar Elbaz left Lanvin.

DECEMBER 2015

Gucci launched its Cruise 2016 campaign which is banned in the  U.K. for featuring models who appear to be unhealthily thin in efforts to improve body positivity images in the industry.

DECEMBER 15, 2015

The CFDA announced they are planning to reformat NYFW.

bstyle year 4

JANUARY 20, 2016

Grace Coddington stepped down as Creative Director of Vogue.

FEBRUARY F/W 2016 FASHION WEEK

Designers such as Burberry, Tom Ford and Rebecca Minkoff announced that this season they would be presenting See Now Buy Now collections. This allowed consumers to immediately purchase the clothes and accessories they see on the runways.

MARCH 3, 2016

The CFDA and Boston Consulting Group released their studies regarding the current but outdated fashion industry model for fashion week. Collections are presented six months ahead of the time they are dropped in stores for consumers to purchase which no longer accommodates the modern
consumer. The results were obvious and no definitive solution was determined but multiple solutions were proposed.

APRIL 1, 2016

Hedi Slimane left Saint Laurent.

bstyle year 6

APRIL 2016

Christian Louboutin announced expansion of his nude shoe collection to support and encourage diversity.

A version of this entire appeared in the May 2 print edition. Email Gabriella Bower at [email protected].