NYMD S/S 2017 Afternoon Presentation

Tatiana Perez, Video Editor

Uri Minkoff

A white room filled with natural light, moving bodies and tones of blue – Uri Minkoff’s ready-to-wear showcase is a perfect embodiment of life, movement and community. Motivated by a past trip to Lake Como, Italy, Minkoff drew inspiration from days spent by the water – a memory exquisitely executed through Minkoff’s selection of male dancers as models. The performers’ were dressed in all blue, creating movement that demonstrated the ideas of community and trust found in Italy’s coastal towns. Dancers moved across the room physically supporting eachother while entering on-lookers were encouraged to move around the space side-by-side with the models. The audience then too became the performance, only strengthening the idea of an all-inclusive, supportive, borderless fashion line. The clothes themselves embodied mobility and inclusiveness. An all blue collection mixing what seemed like cycling-wear with elegant suits allowing for the wearer to move and breathe as  part of a community.

by Robert James

Wood floors, dim lights, leather jackets and an empty drum kit set the scene for what could be described as ‘90s rugged America. The by Robert James collection showcased a line intermixing leather jackets and tuxedo coats, tennis shoes and tuxedo shoes and an overall Denim & Supply meets Jersey Boys vibe. A questionable mix when read, however, James was able to pull it off by allowing the models to show their personality as they took turns laughing and dancing down the runway.

Private Policy

“Are slaves catching the fish you buy?” Private Policy aims to answer the question of modern slavery through the artistic choices made in the design and showcase of this seasons clothing line. Chains, hazard signs and black painted faces accessorized matching athletic suits and jumpsuits on the models. The dark and oppressing accessories on the otherwise colorful and bright pieces allowed for the audience to find a meaningful interpretation to the message the line attempted to deliver.

Kramer and Stoudt

The earthy, seemingly ‘70s inspired Kramer and Stoudt collection created an almost successful relaxed, islander vibe. The clothing resembled pajama-style linens and was accessorized with palm frond hats, bohemian braided hairstyles, and bandanas. The models all wore flip-flops. While the bohemian-inspired idea was there, it was not successfully achieved as some of the accessories and hair styles seemed costume-like and tacky.

Chapter

While Chapter is an LA brand, the only thing resembling the Golden State were the palm trees in the background. With dark colors and striking cuts, the collection could be more similarly compared to the angsty street style of a London teen. Mesh tops, overbearing sunglasses, greasy hair and overall apathetic models were accompanied by a classical string band playing in the background. The models were comprised of both men and women, delivering a strong message of gender fluidity in their clothing.

Tatiana Perez is the Video Editor. Email her at [email protected].