Libertine S/S 2017

Audrey Stiffle, Contributing Writer

The Libertine Spring/Summer 2017 Ready-to-Wear collection stayed true to the brand’s roots with the show’s bright and shimmering colors, play on history and admiration for design. Although there were a few pieces that disrupt the flow on the runway, such as the highlighter-yellow sweatshirt, the overall collection was artistically jaw dropping.

Founder and Creative Director, Johnson Hartig, yet again, accomplished an eye-catching, gothic-meets-British, runway show. As soon as the first model strutted down the catwalk in a white pant suit detailed with black portraits of different people, the audience was captivated. The look was paired with metallic shoes, becoming the instant focal point of this whimsical collection. Hartig played off of this past season’s fixation of fur-covered shoes by draping the shoes’ heels in an ombre of yellow, orange and pink dyed fur. Not to worry, he also had a few lucky models wearing fur slides with the same coloration.

The show ranged from graphic pink and black tights to bombers and leather jackets covered in patterns, patches and sparkles. Hartig even introduced the idea of puking as fashionable by embroidering many of his pieces with red sparkling lips slightly separated with dangling pearls projecting easily out of the mouth. He did not stop there; the face of Queen Elizabeth also made the runway, appliqued and printed on several of his looks. If Hartig completely covered each piece in these patterns, a major visual issue would have overwhelmed his pristine collection, but as each model walked by, many of the backs of the garments were clear of detail proving Hartig a talent to be remembered.  

It is evident that Hartig is more than just a designer. He is an artist who stays true to himself. This season, he proved his worthiness within the industry yet again, blowing away New York Fashion Week one detail at a time.

Audrey Stiffle is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].