Where to Brunch for Every Occasion

Anna Letson

The Smith has many locations around New York and serves a delicious brunch, although known as a go-to dinner restaurant.

Megan Kasselberg, Contributing Writer

Brunch is the superior meal: breakfast food sans breakfast timing, socializing, morning cocktails and the perfect opportunity to try new restaurants in New York. Here are a few options for your various brunching needs.

For a Lazy Brunch: 12 Chairs
56 MacDougal St.

A personal favorite in SoHo, 12 Chairs is a welcoming Israeli-American fusion spot that serves breakfast all day, from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekdays and until 12 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. The wooden furniture and small wait staff helps the space feel personalized and homey. 7 p.m. and you’re craving breakfast but have a date with Netflix autoplay? 12 Chairs offers both delivery and takeout, as well as online ordering. Try their shakshuka for some traditional flair.

For a Sophisticated Brunch: The Smith
55 Third Ave.

A New York classic with multiple locations, the original East Village spot is right next to Third North Residence Hall. They take reservations and allow customers to order online — a great excuse for a picnic near the Arch if The Smith is too busy. The space is elegant and sophisticated, so bring your parents when October rolls around. Breakfast on weekdays is served from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., while brunch on Saturday and Sunday can be found from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The brunch-specific entrees include a complimentary cocktail or fresh juice, but note that NY law prohibits alcohol being served before noon on Sunday.

For a Birthday Brunch: The Smile
26 Bond St.

A ten minute walk from the park, The Smile is a cozy cafe with a healthy Mediterranean menu. Breakfast is served on weekdays all day, while brunch is available on weekends from 9 a.m.  to 4:30 p.m. Although reservations are limited for weekday breakfast, The Smile takes brunch reservations for parties of six or more. With service until 4:30 p.m., you and your six buds can be lazy and plan brunch around your own schedule perfect for a birthday celebration.

For the Classic Weekend Brunch: Jane
100 W Houston St.

Jane, a sister restaurant to The Smith, serves delicious American brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and provides free cocktails with brunch menu items. They take reservations online, but they can fill up quickly so calling ahead works wonders. Try the Waffle Ranchero for a savory twist.

For a Post Workout Instagrammable Brunch: The Butcher’s Daughter
348 Bowery

Although there are several locations, the closest to campus is a pop-up within the open-air Bowery Market. A smaller breakfast menu filled with popular items is served from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., but you can still find avocado toast on the post-breakfast menu if that’s your craving. 13 juice options and seven tempting smoothies make this a wonderful post-workout brunch with a few friends, minus the lines or waiting for a table. While there, you can pick up a cup of joe at Champion Coffee, another local vendor found inside. If the Bowery Market is not your thing, The Butcher’s Daughter also takes to-go orders online or you can venture to one of their beautiful brick-and-mortar locations in the city.

Email Megan Kasselberg at [email protected].