Don’t Let Fall Weather Dress You Down

Anna Letson

Ali Webb, Staff Writer

Early fall weather leaves many fashion lovers clueless about what to wear. It’s too cold for the breezy, skin-baring looks of summer, yet not quite cool enough for full-blown autumnal outfits. It can leave you feeling either sweaty or underdressed. Luckily, some creative thinking will lead to looks that work perfectly for this transitional phase. Here are some favorite summer pieces repurposed for early fall.

Crop tops

These have been popular for the past few years during spring and summer, only on the rise due to celebrity influence and movements for body positivity. This piece often pairs with cutoffs or a high waisted skirt, and usually goes to the back of your closet when temperatures are no longer unbearably hot. Mixed with layers and fall pieces, the crop top has potential to be a fall staple. Look chic and put-together by pairing it with a skirt, short boots and a lightweight jacket, or for a more casual look, wear it with high-waisted jeans and Converse. Accessorize with a cute choker or a scarf.

Lightweight dresses

Quick to throw on and effortless in its femininity and class, this piece is lovely to live in during scalding days. A summer dress can be the perfect base to a fall ensemble. Simply add a layer on top such as a sweater, a flannel or a chambray shirt and put on a pair of boots or comfortable sneakers. Potential ways to make the look more individual include a belt, sunglasses and/or a
statement necklace.

Off-the-shoulder tops

Recently a huge trend on the runways, many fashion-forward students are looking for a way to continue wearing this cute, carefree piece. This autumn, wear these with palazzo pants or jeans — skinny or flared —  and add wedges or pointed-toe flats for a look that is classy and chic. If you’re worried about the irony of chilly shoulders while wearing a “cold shoulder” top, add a big, cozy scarf.

Shorts

Whether you’re a fan of put-together patterns, dark denim or classic cutoffs, shorts are another option for fall legwear. Despite their longtime prevalence, few think of how to make them work through the fall. Balance out bare legs by wearing a button-down on top, either on its own or layered over a tank. Over-the-knee socks with boots can help with coverage and create a trendy look. Alternatively, pair tights underneath shorts for an eye-catching, ’90s-reminiscent look.

Some people switch out their wardrobes entirely each season, but this does not have to be the case. Try to resist immediately breaking out the sweaters, fleece-lined leggings and fuzzy socks until later; instead, choose to embrace the warmth still lingering in the air. The pieces you accumulated this summer are still wearable, so be inventive with your outfits. It can help get you out of a style rut and maybe even set a trend.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 26th print edition. Email Ali Webb at [email protected].