New Doc Shows the Dark Side of MMA

The+Hurt+Business+explores+the+entertainment+business+of+mixed+martial+arts+fighting+and+is+now+in+theaters.+

The Hurt Business explores the entertainment business of mixed martial arts fighting and is now in theaters.

Brandon Alvarado, Contributing Writer

Produced by the same filmmakers that brought audiences “Bowling for Columbine” and “Fahrenheit 9/11,” “The Hurt Business” is a thought-provoking, enticing, frustrating and somewhat disturbing documentary film that focuses on Mixed Martial Arts fighters and their lifestyles, as well as their drive and passion for their sport. With narration from Kevin Costner, viewers get an intimate look at the fighters that have become the face of Ultimate Fighting Championship, the well-known promotion company that sponsors these MMA fighters during their times of victory and failure.

With in-depth interviews featuring popular current and former fighters, including Jon Jones and Rashad Evans, viewers learn about what makes these fighters interested in their unusual career as well as the brutality they face inside and outside the ring, since many of the fighters struggle with health issues throughout their career. While the interviews shed light on fight culture, the film makes an effort to show viewers the emotional struggles these fighters face as people rather than just fighters, specifically through Sara McMann and retiree Michael “Joker” Guymon, whose stories carry most of the emotional weight of the film.

Both players’ stories, including McMann’s loss of her fiancee and Guymon’s suicide attempt due to his career-provoked depression are heartbreaking to watch. Truthfully, they pack the emotional punch the film needs to balance out the violent UFC footage to which viewers are subject to.

While the violence may not be tolerable for everyone, the film is meant to be accessible to any audience, including those who do not regularly watch MMA fights. The film brings up some great questions about MMA fighting, and especially what turns people on or off to the sport. It is fascinating to watch these fighters defend MMA so vehemently. The most common defense is that fighting is human nature — they are just being paid to do it.
And yet these are the same people that end up in hospital beds with injuries, short- and long-term. By the end, viewers question how these people are able to put up with so much pain in an industry that seems to thrive on these injuries being viewed by an audience. But the film feels different from any footage that UFC airs. Despite seeing raw footage of a person beaten to a pulp, and feeling as is there is no reprieve in the moment, “The Hurt Business” feels like we’re finally getting the truth on the MMA.

Email Brandon Alvarado at [email protected].