Influenced Become Influencers With JEFF the Brotherhood

via bowerypresents.com

JEFF the Brotherhood performed this past Tuesday, September 27 at Brooklyn’s Market Hotel, playing a variety of songs from their previous albums.

Carter Shelter, Staff Writer

It doesn’t take long for JEFF the Brotherhood to get a crowd worked up. Stopping through Brooklyn’s Market Hotel on Sept. 27, the sibling duo wasted no time powering into their particular brand of sludgy, weed-soaked garage rock. The audience, warmed up by energetic opening sets from Stuyedeyed and Music Band, were immediately on board, banging their heads, moshing and throwing beer into the air. While the Brotherhood’s extensive discography has rarely warranted deep study, their show was a gripping example of the kind of power and aggression that has driven rock and roll since its inception.

Much of JEFF the Brotherhood’s music takes the Pixies’ loud/quiet/loud philosophy and applies it to sounds pulled more from early Black Sabbath than Iggy Pop. Each time the pair let the volume subside in songs like “Diamond Way” or “Stay Up Late,” both off of 2011’s “We Are the Champions,” anticipation began building for the moment they’d burst back in with a flood of distorted power chords and crashing cymbals.

Still, they’ve long been remiss to keep their music locked into any sort of formula. A setlist that spanned their discography was the perfect evidence. Chugging heavy metal riffs, Hendrix-meets-Van-Halen guitar theatrics and the occasional pop-punk hook all had their moments throughout the show as the band showed off their versatility without throwing off the show’s propulsive drive. The most thrilling moments, though, were when they allowed the songs to fall by the wayside and descended into fits of experimental noise turn to heavy, drone-filled jams as they did in “Zone” and “Punishment” — the latter featuring a guitar solo that in its repetitiveness and precision resembled modern electronic music much more than any of their usual classic rock influences.

Singer and guitarist Jake Orrall made a point throughout the show to humorously and shamelessly remind the audience that the duo are really playing to push their most recent album, “Zone,” with dead-panned lines like “Everybody’s been in the zone, right?” Yet the album’s best endorsement came in the form of its material. Songs from the record were easily some of the strongest of the night, including the aforementioned title track, the bouncy “Idiot” and the battering one-two of “You” and “Portugal.” The high point of the night was reserved for the wild closing performance of “Whatever I Want,” a 2011 single that later appeared on last year’s “Global Chakra Rhythms,” which gradually went from sludgy psychedelia to complete chaos in the best way possible. As drummer Jamin Orrall hopped off the stage, Jake knelt by his effects pedals, casting waves of warped feedback over the crowd until their screams and applause overwhelmed him.

More than 15 years after beginning their musical journey, JEFF the Brotherhood have no trouble proving that they’re nowhere close to done.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 3 print edition. Email Carter Shelter at [email protected]