Green Day Incites a Revolution for Good at Webster Hall

Tayler MacMillan

Lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong sings “Revolution Radio” during Green Day’s sold out show on October 8 at Webster Hall.

Taylor MacMillan, Contributing Writer

As the crowd filled in at Webster Hall to see Green Day’s triumphant return several years after the less-than-impressive album sequence of “Uno!,” “Dos!” and “Tre!,” the last thing they expected to walk on stage was a man in a bunny suit.

And yet, that’s exactly how the punk rock band decided to open the show. After much waving, hopping around and flipping photographers the bird, the masked rabbit left the stage and out came frontman Billie Joe Armstrong with the rest of the band, immediately firing into the opening drum beats of “Know Your Enemy.”

If you’re unfamiliar with the rock sensation that is Green Day, here are a few fast facts. The band got its start in 1987 at a small club in Berkeley, California. Since then, they’ve acquired five Grammys, written a Broadway musical based on their album “American Idiot” and had a documentary created about them. “Revolution Radio” is their 12th studio album, acting as a rebirth and follow up after the lukewarm audience reaction to their last trio of albums (“Uno!,” “Dos!” and “Tre!” were all released within three months of each other in early 2012.)

Webster Hall marked the seventh stop on the “Revolution Radio” tour out of 40 worldwide concert stops. With the album of the same name launching only a day before Green Day played here, the crowd didn’t have much time to learn the lyrics to some of the songs played that night. But it didn’t stop everyone from rocking out hard to the album’s first single “Bang Bang,” its follow-up “Revolution Radio” and “Still Breathing.” Armstrong kept the crowd engaged the entire time, clapping and yelling their way through the entire three-hour set.

Of course, it wouldn’t be a Green Day concert without playing the classics, and songs such as “American Idiot,” “Jesus of Suburbia,” “Basket Case” and “King for a Day” were blasted through Webster Hall’s speakers in all of their punk rock glory.

In between songs, Armstrong would take a pause to remind the crowd of why they were there and what the “revolution” was supposed to be. He addressed the room, stating that this was a place of “no racism, no sexism, no homophobia” and that this was a movement for good.

The night closed with Armstrong playing two songs alone on acoustic. First was “Ordinary World” from the new album and his upcoming film of the same title. The band ended by wishing everyone a good night with “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life).”

While the New York portion of the tour is over, students spending their winter break in Europe will be able to catch Green Day in Italy, Switzerland, Germany or Poland this January. Green Day will also be returning to New York City in March.

Email Taylor MacMillan at [email protected]