D.C.: Figuring Out Why I’m Here

Hannah Shulman, Editor-at-Large

“How’s New York?”

“Uh, I’m in D.C. for the semester.”

“Why?”

Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve been asked this question more than a handful of times and I still don’t fully know, so I stick to my answer of “to get my life on track.” Back when I was deciding what university to attend, I crossed all of the D.C. schools off my list. When my mom asked why, I couldn’t explain it exactly. It just didn’t feel right. Here I am two years later, and this feeling has not changed, even though I still like D.C. This city and the NYU D.C. program have taught me a lot more about the real world than New York City did in the same amount of time. D.C. is no New York, but I’m still happy I’m here. I have my first real internship (I have to dress business casual), I’m living alone for the first time and I’m networking almost every week. To put it plainly, this city has offered me a glimpse into my post-graduation adult life. However, there’s a stark contrast between the reality of being an adult and being completely taken care of by NYU D.C. (I mean, we get two-ply toilet paper). I have yet to come to terms with this difference. That’s what these pictures are — exactly what I thought D.C. would be like. I can see the sky, feel my American pride (or shame) and enjoy a place where, for the first time, I am completely out of my element.

Email Hannah Shulman at [email protected].