Staff Recs: Best Seasonal Fall Dishes

Taylor Rogers

Pumpkins are known to be famous ingredients in dishes for the fall season.

WSN Staff

Apple Pie

The quintessential fall dish is none other than apple pie. But wait, you say, you can make apple pie any time of the year. While this is true, everyone knows that fruit is better when you eat it in-season, and this also applies when using fruit to make things. While the dish may be simple, there’s a reason it’s remained a staple in the fall diet. Not to brag or anything, but my mom makes the best apple pie ever, and it’s one of the things I look forward to the most when the leaves change. — Abbey Wilson, Assistant Managing Editor

Sweet Potato Flautas

I just made this last night; it was amazing! The recipe calls for cooked sweet potato mixed with a number of spices, corn and homemade pico de gallo, wrapped in tortillas and baked until they’re crispy. Pair it with homemade guacamole and you have a winner for any party. The sweet potatoes really help bring in a festive fall feeling and the little pops of yellow, red and orange color you get in every bite make you feel like you’re basically consuming the essence of autumn. I love these because they’re fun to make and fun to eat, even if they do take a little bit of work to get everything prepared and put together. Pro tip: heap on the cheese. — Emily Fong, Opinions Editor

Sweet Potato Souffle

I have an emotional connection to sweet potato souffle. When it’s made well, it is fluffy, decadent, satisfying and comforting. Most importantly, excellent souffle exchanges the customary blanket of marshmallows for a crunchy topping of nuts and brown sugar that is its piece de resistance. Homemade sweet potato souffle reminds me of Thanksgiving at my grandmother’s house, so I have been known to just eat a large bowl of it for dinner when I’m homesick. — Taylor Rogers, Dining Editor

Pumpkin Pie

There is much despair wrought on the world by the flavor of pumpkin. Pumpkin, I reluctantly admit, has gone too far. Pumpkin Spice Kale Chips? Hold on, let me fetch my children Bentley and Weston to eat some of that healthy snack before we inhale the fumes of caviar for dinner.

However, there is still hope in this cruel, consumerist world for the beacon of fall — those lovely, vibrant pumpkins. And it comes in one of the most classic dishes you can imagine: the sweet, smooth, savory and perfect pumpkin pie. Few things bring me back home more than the thought of watching my dad sneak a quick direct hit from the whipped cream bottle when my mom’s not looking as he loads his pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is immaculate. Pumpkin pie is the perfect fall dessert. Pumpkin pie is home. — Bobby Wagner, Managing Editor

Apple Cider

It’s not technically a dish, but it’s the peak of the season. I’d bathe in apple cider if that wasn’t an absolutely awful idea. But for consumption, it’s great warm, cold, mixed with other beverages, seasoned with some cinnamon and nutmeg … it’s always the star of the show, no matter what. It makes apple juice into a pale lie; a disappointing imitation of its heritage. There’s literally no beverage more perfect than cider, and it pains me that it’s only available for such a small portion of the year. — Hailey Nuthals, Arts Editor

Email WSN Staff at [email protected].