Hockey Stays Unblemished Through Six Games

The+Violets+continue+their+winning+streak+against+University+of+Massachusetts%2C+sitting+at+a+perfect+6-0+for+the+season+thus+far.+

Brendan Gutenschwager

The Violets continue their winning streak against University of Massachusetts, sitting at a perfect 6-0 for the season thus far.

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

The Violets headed into their return home Friday night with the same perfect record to start the season as the Vancouver Canucks: 4-0.

And while the Canucks emerged from the weekend with a blemish to their perfect record, the Violets now sit a perfect 6-0.

Beginning Friday night winning against the University of Massachusetts at home, clad in sharp pink jerseys in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, the Violets got off to a hot start when UMass got called for too many men at 4:22, allowing junior defenseman Charles Arsenescu to capitalize and notch NYU’s first on the night.

After some back and forth action, sophomore forward Mason Gallegos sauced the Violets their second just after the frame’s midway point. The period was punctuated by senior forward David Shaby getting tossed to the penalty box, one which the Violets killed, continuing their success while shorthanded.

The second started with some heartbreakingly close calls for a third NYU goal, which luckily came to fruition eventually. Late in the frame NYU got a 5-on-3 chance, and though UMass got through the hard part, NYU capitalized on the single man advantage. The goal came from junior forward Michael Conslato at 13:28.

After traded penalties, Arsenescu scored NYU’s fourth — his second of the night — at the eleventh hour with just three seconds to go.

There was room for one more round of “Chelsea Dagger” — the Violets’ goal song — before the game’s end as freshman forward Kohl Donovan netted one at 13:17 of the third to put NYU ahead 5-0. The NYU penalty kill was strong on the night as it successfully defended freshman goaltender Patrick Cavanaugh to a shutout.

Saturday night, the boys headed to Newington, Connecticut to face off against Central Connecticut State University in hopes of extending their winning streak. They did that and then some, continuing their trend of being successful both on the penalty kill and the man advantage. They got their first goal late in the game from Gallegos on a CCSU holding call. Then, freshman defenseman Matthew Banks got tossed to the box with a second to go, sending NYU back to the kill to start the second.

Of course, they killed it, and a couple more, before adding to their tally. Junior forward and captain Steven Esposito got another on the board at 14:33 and senior forward David Morgan would add a third before the second’s end.

Neither team seemed able to catch a break as the third was one filled with 4-on-4 play, but a rip from senior defenseman Evan Ripley punctuated the night, which marked another shutout victory, this one attributed to junior goaltender Jack Nebe.

And so NYU ended its weekend with a total of nine unanswered goals and six unanswered wins. Not a bad start. Morgan would agree.

“Well, going 6-0 to start the season is always great, but we can’t let it get to our heads, and we need to continue to work hard and play our game,” Morgan said. “If we stick to playing our game, then I can see this team doing great things this season. The team has done really well welcoming the freshmen and really immersing them in our kind of gameplay.”

Multi-goal-scorer Gallegos emphasized the strength of the goaltending in the pair of wins.

“We picked up two big wins this weekend,” Gallegos said. “Had great goaltending with two big shutouts. Have a huge game on Saturday against Willie P.”

The team is back in action Saturday night against William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 24 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].