Women’s Soccer Team Ride Momentum Into 3-0 Win

via nyugoathletics.com

Sophomore Maddie Pena, determined, makes her way to score final goal off an assist.

Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

With more UAA play looming later in the week, the NYU women’s soccer team won its second match in a row, a 3-0 win over Centenary College in New Jersey to improve to 9-3-3 on the season.

The Violets drew first blood early in the first, courtesy of a goal by junior forward Teressa Fazio in the sixth minute, her team-leading sixth goal of the season. Junior forward Marquel Love quickly followed her goal up eight minutes later, netting a goal — her fifth of the season — from the lower left corner in the 14th minute. The score remained 2-0 into the early stages of the second half, when senior midfielder Lexi Clarke put an exclamation on the match with her third goal of the season in the 50th minute, giving the Violets a lead they would not relinquish for the next 40 minutes. Though they had numerous chances to further extend their lead, the Violets’ easily coasted to their shutout victory, dominating the tempo and time of possession throughout the game, notably outshooting the Cyclones 15-2.

NYU easily dominated in a slew of notable statistics. Centenary barely made any noise during the match, only getting off two shots, compared to the Violets’ 15. Centenary could hardly withstand the onslaught, albeit saving seven shots on goal. Fazio led the Violets with five shots, while senior defender Mimi Tran tacked on three of her own, contributing to NYU’s offensive. It was a clean game on both sides, as neither team committed a penalty, and the Violets were only caught offsides once.

Freshman forward Alex Benedict liked how the team played and thinks their momentum bodes well for key weekend games.

“It was a very physical game, but we focused on still playing our possessive style,” Benedict said. “Netting three and getting back into the scoring mentality will prepare us very well for our next game against Rochester on Friday.”

Hot off two straight wins, the Violets now march into a crucial three-game slate. They host the University of Rochester this Friday, Emory University on Sunday and Brandeis University next Saturday, Nov. 5, for family day at Gaelic Park.

Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].