No Plans On Halloweekend? Try These Haunted Houses

Faith Gates, Staff Writer

Halloween in New York City is iconic  — almost as famous as the over-the-top haunted houses that start popping up in October. What better way to celebrate than to line up with your friends and pay to be scared out of your wits? Here are some of the most horrific haunted houses in the city.

Gravesend Inn Haunted Hotel

Voorhees Theatre, 186 Jay St., Brooklyn

If you love seeing what’s behind the scenes, visit Gravesend Inn Haunted Hotel. This haunted house is produced by Theatreworks, where City Tech College’s students and faculty put together everything from design to construction to operating support. There are no live actors throughout the set, but all the scares are technical and triggered by motion sensors.

Time: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. and 6 – 9 p.m. on Oct. 28

1 – 5 p.m. and 6 – 9 p.m. on Oct. 29

10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and 6 – 9 p.m. on Oct. 31

Admission: $5 for students

Blood Manor

163 Varick St.

Take a 20-minute journey through a 5,000-square-foot maze of zombies, monsters and other scary creatures who will prey on your fears. While no live actor is allowed to touch you, the haunted house has been deemed too scary for children under 14 to enter without supervision. Due to its popularity, Blood Manor is on the more expensive side..

Time: 7 p.m. – 1 a.m. from Oct. 27 to Oct. 29

6 p.m. – 1 a.m. on Oct. 31

Admission: $35 online, $40 at the door.

New York Haunted Hayride

Randall’s, 20 Island Park

This popular destination is getting even scarier for its second year. Aside from the horrific hayride, which features dozens of live performers, general admission also includes entry into the spooky “House of Shadows” maze and “Purgatory,” where you can watch iconic scenes from horror movies and even participate in re-enactments. Get ready to be seriously spooked, as the website promises an “experience of disturbia and terror in your face.”

Time: 7 – 11 p.m. every day from Oct. 27 to Oct. 31

Admission: $32

The Uninvited Awakening

151 W. 116th St.

This house welcomes you to hell on earth with New York’s largest, longest and only full-contact haunted house in New York City. Choose your own path through the 25,000-square-foot maze for 30 minutes and be ready to sign a waiver to give the 45 performers inside permission to touch you.

Time: 7 p.m. – 1:30 a.m. on select days up to Oct. 31. Dates can be found here.

Admission: $30 for students.

Doomocracy

140 58th St., Brooklyn

Doomocracy is a simulated realistic experience, calling attention to the fragility of the future of our nation. This immersive artwork explores our political landscape in the form of a haunted house. Be prepared to face fears such as climate change, gun violence, GMOs and politics. Unlike the others, this haunted house will be around until Nov. 6, just before the elections, to give students a scare outside of Halloween weekend.

Time: 6 p.m. – 12 a.m. Fridays through Sundays until Nov. 6

Admission: Free

Email Faith Gates at [email protected].