Basketball: Women Roll On, Men Split

Via gonyuathletics.com

Shaye McGoey was one of four to score in the double figures during NYU’s victory against the Staten Island Dolphins.

Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

With just a short break for Thanksgiving, the NYU basketball teams were on the court before the holiday and shortly after. This week proved successful for the women’s team, who remained undefeated after facing the College of Mount Saint Vincent and College of Staten Island. Meanwhile, the men lost their first game of the year, beating John Jay College before falling to Yeshiva University on Sunday.

It was business as usual for the women’s squad, which now has beaten all five of its opponents by double digits. The Violets traveled to Riverdale the day before Thanksgiving and dominated Mount Saint Vincent 71-54. The result was never in question as the Violets outscored their opponents 20-9 in the first quarter and outscored them by 10 in the third. Although they only shot 36 percent from the field, the Violets again dominated on the defensive end, combining for 23 steals and 39 points off of turnovers. Six Violets scored at least five points, with freshman forward Lauren Brown leading the way with 20. Freshman guard Shaye McGoey added 15 points, while forward Kayla Patterson continued her solid freshman year with 10 rebounds.

With their Thanksgiving dinner barely digested, the Violets put on their most prolific performance of the season against Staten Island, scoring 31 points in the first quarter en route to an 84-69 win. After focusing on defense for much of their first several games, the Violets had the hot hand, shooting 54.8 percent from the field and 10-19 from behind the arc. The Violets started the game on a 9-0 run, courtesy of three shots from downtown in the first three minutes. From there the Violets stayed in control and never trailed. Senior guard Kaitlyn Read led the Violets with 22 points and nine rebounds on a day in which three of her teammates also scored in the double digits. Senior guard Amy Harioka scored 16 points and added on four assists, while Patterson finished with 14 points and seven boards. Patterson was excited about what this early success indicates for the future of the team.

“This year is such a fresh start with so many new faces,” Patterson said. “Last night was a glimpse of our potential as a team. Offensively, I felt that our team began to find a rhythm which really helped us to grow.”

The results were mixed for the men’s squad, who beat John Jay 63-50 on Tuesday. The first half was tight before the Violets used a 9-0 run to pull ahead 32-25. John Jay cut the lead to three points midway through the second half, but the Violets continued to sink clutch baskets, expanding the lead to as much as 16 to secure the win. Junior guard Ross Udine continued to act as the team’s spark, scoring 19 points on 5-16 shooting. Senior guard Joe Timmes added 14 points and eight rebounds, and freshman forward Ted Georgiadis grabbed 11 boards.

However, the Violets finally tasted defeat Sunday, dropping their first game of the young season against Yeshiva 83-68. The Violets fell behind 12-2 in the first half and couldn’t climb back as Yeshiva controlled the game throughout. The Violets shot 44.4 percent from the field but only 5-20 from three-point range compared to Yeshiva’s 10-23. Georgiadis and freshman guard Cameron Moore combined for 29 points, while Udine and freshman forward Jimmy Martinelli tacked on 10 apiece.

The women’s squad returns to the court at the Hunter Sportsplex Tuesday against SUNY New Paltz. Looking to rebound, the men face Hunter College on Sunday.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 28 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].