Wrestling 2-0 in Grapple at the Garden

Via gonyuathletics.com

Stephanie Cunningham achieved the NYU Women’s Fencing team’s sole victory in its duel against Columbia on Tuesday.

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

After a mighty Thanksgiving meal, NYU athletics still had to take to the field — or mat — this weekend to continue their seasons. The Grapplers participated in the exciting Grapple at the Garden, emerging with success to further their hot streak. The Violet fencers had a tough time as they took on Columbia at NYU.

Wrestling

On Sunday, the NYU Grapplers headed to Madison Square Garden, hoping to improve on their performance there last year and continue their phenomenal record this season. That they did, winning both matches.

Beginning with their early morning set against Johns Hopkins, the Grapplers devoured their opponent 27-13. The team was strong all around, with a good portion of the team winning their bouts.

Later in the day, against the Muhlenberg College Mules, the Violets were even more dominant, coming away with a 37-12 win.

The Grapplers hope to wrestle their season to further success this weekend against Liu Post in Brookville on Friday and against Hunter College at home in Brooklyn on Saturday.

Fencing

After a canceled tilt two weeks ago, NYU’s DI team played in the Columbia Challenge Cup on Tuesday, interestingly hosted at NYU’s very own Kimmel Center.

Both teams struggled, with NYU ultimately losing. The men’s team kept it close with a 13-14 loss. They fought a hard battle against Columbia and came away with plenty to be proud of.

The women’s team, on the other hand, suffered a devastating 25-2 loss to their uptown Ivy League foes. The strong Lions took the Violets without much of a fight. Though the team has plenty to look forward to, however, with many freshmen and sophomores dotting this year’s lineup.

The next step for the fencers will be this weekend as they open December with the Tradition Tournament at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 28 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].