Marcel Ostertag F/W 2017

Helena Gonzalez, Contributing Writer

A renowned designer in Berlin, Marcel Ostertag debuted his Fall/Winter 2017 collection, titled “Revolution,” in his third runway show at New York Fashion Week. Now making a space for himself in the American market, the designer brought his signature loose silhouettes back to the runway. According to Ostertag’s show notes, he was inspired by the tension between traditional and modern influences.

While the German-based designer has been accused of being over-the-top, his F/W 2017 collection was effortlessly chic. Ostertag continued to show flowy pieces, this time using more prints than in past collections. There was a lot of movement to his pieces, expressed through ruffled blouses and capes.

As in season’s past, Ostertag stuck to a neutral color palette, showcasing maroons, grays and blush colors, shying away from bold and bright colors. This worked for him, showing that you don’t need to utilize the immediately eye-catching bright, bold colors to make a statement.

His collection also focused on femininity, emphasized by Emma Watson’s UN Women’s “He For She” speech playing over the music. This was both a timely political statement and complemented the nature of his designs. The designer’s intentions were made clear in the show notes.

“Marcel Ostertag is celebrating women with a revolution, that he has been concerning himself with for a long time,” the notes said. “With his designs, he manages to make every single wearer feel unique, extravagant and yet grounded.”

It is clear that Ostertag cares deeply about this issue and uses his platform in the fashion world to bring more acknowledgement to it. Marcel Ostertag is one to watch.

Email Helena Gonzalez at [email protected].