Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Soup

Sara Miranda

A cup of soup can often be the solution to a freezing day in New York City. Many restaurants near campus offer a variety of warm soups.

Anthony Yi, Contributing Writer

Stay toasty during the cold winter season with these convenient broths, stews and noodles. There are many places close to campus to keep you warm, so you don’t have to travel far. Below you’ll find a list of soup places near each dorm.

U-Hall and Coral Towers
Panera Bread, Hours: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Address: 10 Union Square E.

At Panera Bread, you can grab a soup in a sourdough bread bowl, regular bowl or a cup. Some of their most well-known are Chicken Noodle and French Onion. They also offer special soups-of-the-day, such as Clam Chowder on Fridays. 

Palladium and 13th Street
Au Bon Pain, Hours: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Address: 6 Union Square E.

If you’re looking for vegan, vegetarian or gluten free foods, Au Bon Pain is the right place to look! Their winter menu includes the recently added Minestrone with Basil, which is a classic Minestrone soup packed with vegetables, beans and escarole finished with basil and parmesan cheese!

Carlyle
Bite, Hours: Monday -Friday 8 a.m. to 11p.m. Saturday 10a.m. to 11p.m., Sunday 10a.m. to 10p.m. Address: 211 East 14th St. (between 2nd and 3rd Ave.)

Using fresh and simple ingredients, Bite offers customers not only great soup choices, but new flavors from its owners’ extensive knowledge of Israeli, Mediterranean, Moroccan and Thai food. Some of the many delicious vegan soups they offer are country tomato, spicy black bean and vegetable lentil.

Gramercy
Bao Bao Café, Hours: 11:00 a.m. to  9:30 p.m. Address: 61 Lexington Ave.

If you are looking for southern style Chinese cuisine, Bao Bao Café is the right place for you.  You can grab the Little Hot Pot, which is a glass noodle soup topped with a variety of vegetables and dry tofu skin. If you’re bringing a party, grab the Mega Hot Pot to feed you and your friends!

Founders Hall, Alumni Hall and Brittany Hall
Ippudo Hours: 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., Address: 65 4th Ave.

Touted by many as the best ramen spot in NYC, Ippudo offers delicious noodles at a reasonable cost. But because it’s a popular spot, there is generally a wait time of about an hour to be seated, and they don’t take reservations. However, the food is worth the wait.

Third North and Green House
Momofuku Noodle Bar, Hours: 12 to 4:30 p.m., 5:30 to 11p.m. Address: 171 1st Ave.

If you don’t mind waiting in line, Momofuku Noodle Bar is also a good choice for ramen. The head chef draws on both his Asian and American influences to create fusion dishes that combine the best of both worlds.

Weinstein Hall, Goddard Hall and Rubin Hall                                                                                              Kiin Thai, Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Address: 36 E 8th St.

If you’ve never tried Thai soups before, try the Tom Yum Goong Soup. Its combination of shrimp and a wide variety of vegetables tastes like nothing you’ve had before. Warning — some of their dishes are spicy.

Lipton Hall                                                                                                                                                                 Good Stock, Hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.,  Address: 31 Carmine St.

With the mission of making every meal soul-enriching and enjoyable, Good Stock offers great soup inspired by the rich culture of founder Ben leBlanc’s home state, Louisiana. Some of the most interesting and mouth-watering selections are Coconut Chicken, Fried Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, Kimchi and Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple.

Second Street
Siggys Good Food, Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Address:292 Elizabeth St.

If you’re looking for organic and sustainable soup, Siggy’s is the place to go. Not only is their Lentil Garlic Soup to die for, but they also don’t use any artificial ingredients, GMOs,fillers, thickeners or processed ingredients. 

Greenwich Street
Do Hwa, Hours: 12 to 3 p.m., 5 to 10 p.m., Address: 55 Carmine St.

If you’re craving a steaming bowl of Korean tofu soup, look no further. Do Hwa offers a wide array of soups including everything from seafood to beef. They also offer unlimited small side dishes free of charge. The hot and spicy soup is sure to warm you right up.

Lafayette Hall/ Broome Street                                                                                                                              Pho Bang, Hours:10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Address: 157 Mott St.

If you need a bowl of soup that is easy on your wallet, Pho Bang’s Vietnamese noodle soups are cheap, simple and delicious. But be warned, it is cash only!

Othmer Hall                                                                                                                                                                Hale and Hearty Soups, Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Address: 2 MetroTech Center

With great flavors ranging from coconut shrimp to vegetarian split pea, Hale and Hearty Soups offers great flavors and a great atmosphere. Only a two-minute walk from Tandon, Hale and Hearty is a great place help you survive the winter.

Email Anthony Yi at [email protected]