Goddard Hall

Taylor Nicole Rogers, Features Editor

Residency: Freshmen
Estimated yearly cost: $10,464 – $16,692
Low-cost rooms available: Yes
Commute to class: 0 minute walk to WSP, 25-30 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: N, R, A, C, E, B, D, F, M, 6
Shuttle: No

Goddard might not have as many amenities as the other freshman dorms, but it provides the most traditional college experience. Located on the corner of Washington Square East and West Fourth Street, Goddard is the underclassman component of NYU’s Residential College.

First-years who desire to live in Goddard must complete an application to the Residential College Program. As a result, many students are deterred from selecting Goddard, but the dorm is filled with students who actually want to be there. If you do end up living in Goddard, your room will be small and lack a kitchen, but it will always be filled with kind floormates who genuinely want to be friends.  

As members of the Residential College, Goddardites are also required to complete a zero-credit pass/fail Service Learning and Leadership Course each semester. Contrary to popular belief of being a large timesucker, all that is required to pass the course is attendance at six events over the semester, many of which you will want to attend anyway. A typical week for a Goddardite might include a cupcake baking class at a local bakery, a night at the theater and a weekend trip to Washington, D.C. — all completely paid for or heavily subsided by the Residential College program.

Goddard is the perfect home for anyone who desires involvement on campus, both inside and outside their dorm. Its quiet location on the southeast corner of Washington Square Park and close proximity to several subway stations make it the perfect home base for busy people.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.