Gramercy Green

Diamond Naga Siu, Editor-in-Chief

Residency: Upperclassmen
Estimated yearly cost: $13,048 – $18,494
Low-cost rooms available: Yes
Commute to class: 20-25 minute walk to WSP, 30-40 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: 6, N, R
Shuttle: Yes

The nickname Glamercy perfectly encapsulates this dorm: large windows, a dishwasher, hotel bathroom lighting and even walk-in closets. In addition to the luxurious and spacious dorms, the building features laundry on most floors, a fitness center and private study rooms in the basement, a computer lab with printing on the fourth floor, additional laundry in the basement and an expansive second floor lounge.

However, even with these great amenities, many rooms have no overhead lighting, and the beds are non-ergonomic: they cannot be adjusted for height, and most bed risers do not fit the bed frame’s leg shape.

The surrounding area of Third Avenue and 23rd Street — a large intersection comparable to the Fifth Avenue traffic — boasts an assortment of locales for college students, since this dorm is adjacent to both Baruch College and the School of Visual Arts. However, most things in the area are pricey, and the nearby nightlife is more suited for an older, post-college age group.

Nothing is really that nearby Gramercy, but its relatively uptown location compared to the rest of campus provides plenty of things to do with a short, bearable trek: it is only a few blocks from the East River, Central Park is a short run away and multiple art hubs are within a mile of this residence hall.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.