Athleisure Beauty Product Guide

Anastasiya Shelest, Contributing Writer

While the athleisure trend has won over the fashion world, we’ve only just begun to see that aesthetic reflected in the beauty industry. Athleisure, for those not yet seduced by its stylish fitness wear, is a look designed to seamlessly transition from the gym to the outside world.

Applied to cosmetics, this trend encourages the use of makeup while exercising. And while we all know that this is a breakout waiting to happen, many popular brands are hopping on the bandwagon to offer healthy — or at least minimally damaging —  alternatives to traditional makeup.

Here are a few options for anyone seeking to try the look.

Too Faced: Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara, $17

Runny mascara is the worst, and this waterproof version of Too Faced’s best-selling Better Than Sex Mascara delivers results. It provides a dramatic increase in lash length and volume, without smearing or running even during the toughest workouts.

NUDESTIX : Intense Matte Lip + Cheek Pencil

The NUDESTIX brand is known for its “barely-there” makeup aesthetic. The Intense Matte Lip and Cheek Pencil is perfect for the athleisure lifestyle, because it does double duty — you can apply it as a lipstick or blush —  and avoids the overdone makeup look by subtly enhancing your features. It’s currently available in 12 colors to compliment every skin tone.

LUNE+ASTER: cc cream spf 50/pa+++, $48

The LUNE+ASTER brand is dedicated to keeping skin healthy, and this CC cream provides the perfect combination of coverage and protection from the elements. Not only is it boosted with Vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, a skin plumping and moisturizing agent; and sea buckthorn, an antioxidant; but it also provides SPF 50 protection and medium coverage. As a bonus, this product is not tested on animals, and is paraben and phthalate free.

Perricone MD : No Makeup Makeup Bundle, $110

Practically every product from the Perricone MD brand screams athleisure. All its products are created as skincare first and makeup second. This bundle, which includes the No Foundation Foundation, the No Bronzer Bronzer, the No Lipstick Lipstick and the No Mascara Mascara, functions as a complete makeup regimen. All the products include SPF protection as well as avitamin C booster, and they’re made without parabens, sulfates or phthalates. The bundle will keep skin looking healthy throughout a workout and the rest of the day.

Drunk Elephant : Skin Fit Kit, $25

The Skin Fit Kit from Drunk Elephant takes athleisure in a simpler skincare direction. The kit includes its Umbra Sheer Physical Defense sunscreen in SPF 30, B Hydra Intensive Hydrating Gel and Lippe volumizing lip balm. This kit is perfect for anyone in the market for a luxurious product without the fear of smudged pigment during a session on the elliptical.

MILK MAKEUP : Headliner Makeup Set, $25

The MILK MAKEUP brand is one of the hottest brands around because of its modern aesthetic, simple color scheme and light-wear formula. This kit features four mini-sized popular products that are perfect for a gym makeup bag: the mini Ubama Mascara in Inked, the Lip Color in Dip Out, the Micellar Water Makeup Remover Wipes and its star product, the Cooling Water. With a fresh-faced approach to traditional makeup, the Headliner Makeup Set offers new essentials for transitioning from a workout to your workday.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 6 print edition. Email Anastasiya Shelest at [email protected].