Pop-Tarts Pop up in NYC

Created by Kellogg’s NYC, the pop-up Pop-Tart Cafe in Times Square served the classic pastry in both sweet and savory reiterations. Although it ended March 12, people are expecting a permanent comeback due to high demand.

Rachael Heistuman

Rachael Heistuman

Rachael Heistuman, Contributing Writer

Kellogg’s NYC in Times Square temporarily put the cereal on hold to yield their space to the brand new Pop-Tarts Cafe, a limited time pop-up serving your favorite quick breakfast pastry with quite a few twists.

Guests were greeted upon entry with Pop-Tart merchandise available for purchase before being handed a menu that was sure to make everyone’s inner child swoon. Items included Birthday Fiesta Nachos, personal Pop-Tarts pizzas, Tarty Tacos, chili Pop-Tarts fries and Pop-Tarts burritos — served complete with kiwi and strawberry salsa and frosting sour cream in a sweet crepe tortilla. Other treats included milkshakes made with a variety of Pop-Tarts flavors, cheesecakes, a Pop-Tarts spin on tiramisu and cake pops. Individual Pop-Tarts were also available in flavors ranging from classics like blueberry and strawberry to newer favorites inspired by Dunkin’ Donuts lattes and mochas.

After ordering, guests were given a buzzer to wait for their order. When your treat was ready, you picked it up at a numbered cabinet decorated with different flavors of Pop-Tarts. The Chili Pop-Tarts Fries were made from Chocolate Chip Pop-Tarts fries, crumbled up cookies and Crème Pop-Tarts to resemble ground beef and orange frosting for the cheese. The pseudo-fries were topped off  with chopped up sour gummy stick scallions. With the fries priced at $8 and the burritos and shakes at a startling $12, it’s easy to say that customers were paying for a limited edition foodie experience rather than a delectable treat for the taste buds.

While it received plenty of hype online enough praise and attention from sites like Buzzfeed and Glamour to warrant Kellogg extending the pop-up cafe’s run an extra two weeks not everyone was a fan of satisfying a sweet tooth to this extent. Some combinations were just too extreme to enjoy or not eye-appealing.

Steinhardt freshman Lara Baez’s thoughts on the Chili Pop-Tarts Fries on display were not positive. “I wouldn’t eat that,” she said.  

With only five days left on the cafe’s limited engagement, workers were overheard counting down the days until the normal format of Kellogg’s NYC returned.

While this pop-up experience ended March 12, the Pop-Tart cafe might make a comeback in in New York City.. Keep your eye out for other delicious opportunities and decide for yourself whether these sugary combinations are satisfactory.

Email Rachael Heistuman at [email protected]