Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Sandwiches

Perfect for students near Union Square, Baohaus at 238 E. 14th St. serves a fresh take on the traditional Chinese bao. Here is a list of some great sandwich shops near each dorm for a quick bite.

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor

Sandwiches are the best grab-and-go food for busy and lazy college students. Whether a snack or a meal, sandwiches come in a wide array of shapes, sizes and varieties. Here are the best sandwich places near each dorm for you to enjoy.

U-Hall, Third North, Palladium and Coral Towers

Baohaus, Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m; Friday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m to 2:30 a.m., Address: 238 E. 14th St.

Eddie Huang’s bao-centric restaurant is the epitome of a traditional New York sandwich shop with hip-hop music blasting in the background. Bao is a Chinese steamed bun, and in Baohaus there are different types of bao sandwiches. With braised Berkshire pork belly served with Haus relish, crushed peanuts, Taiwanese red sugar and cilantro, the Chairman Bao is one of their most popular sandwiches and it only costs $4.05 — a reasonable price for a quality sandwich.

Rubin Hall and Weinstein Hall

Num Pang Sandwich Shop, Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m; Sunday, 12 a.m. to 8 p.m., Address: 28 E. 12th St.

Num Pang Sandwich shop boasts the perfect marriage between traditional Cambodian flavors and modern cooking techniques. Here, you can get a sandwich that both satisfies your taste buds and your hunger for a reasonable price. One of their most famous sandwiches is pulled Duroc pork with spiced honey. All of Num Pang’s sandwiches are served with cucumber, pickled carrots, cilantro and chili mayo on a fresh semolina or quinoa baguette.

Lipton Hall, Greenwich Hall and Goddard Hall

Mamoun’s Falafel, Hours: Monday-Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 a.m., Address: 119 Macdougal St.

A Macdougal classic and a Lipton Hall favourite, Mamoun’s is a late-night NYU crowd staple. Their pita sandwich comes with salad, tahini sauce and crispy falafel. Open late and boasting prices starting at $3.50, Mamoun’s Falafel is the place to go for a cheap, delicious taste of the Middle East or to refuel during a long night of studying.                                            

Second Street and Greenhouse

Katz’s Delicatessen, Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 10:45 p.m; Thursday, 8 a.m. to 2:45 a.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday, open 24 hours; Sunday, 12 a.m. to 10:45 p.m., Address: 205 E. Houston St.

Katz is the quintessential traditional family business. Since 1888, they have been serving sandwiches in their shop on the Lower East Side. Their legendary Corned Beef Hot Sandwich has people lining up outside the store from all over the world. Simplicity is key with this sandwich — it has corned beef and mustard with pickles on the side. A little bit on the pricey side, this $18.95 not including tax sandwich is great to share.

Broome Street  and Lafayette Hall   

Parm, Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m; Friday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m, Address: 248 Mulberry St.

This classic Italian-American restaurant offers high-end comfort food. With a small but appetizing menu, they offer sandwiches with either sweet semolina or classic sesame bread. Their most famous sandwich is the Chicken Parm, with many layers of tomato sauce and basil leaves. The restaurant is relatively small, so it tends to be crowded around dinner time.

Carlyle and 13th Street

La Maison Du Croque Monsieur, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Address: 17 E. 13th St.

La Maison Du Croque Monsieur is solely dedicated to the to the culinary classic, the croque monsieur. “Interestingly, every sandwich on the menu is named after one of essayist Anais Nin’s many lovers. The Mr. Henry is their most famous sandwich. Ironically, Henry was Nin’s longtime love. This sandwich has jambon de Paris, bechamel sauce and your choice of cheese. It is truly unique to reimagine and taste Nin’s lovers. La Maison du Croque Monsieur is worth a visit.

Gramercy

Bite, Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Address: 211 E. 14th St.

Bite showcases the flavors founder Ami Melamed encountered during his travels to Thailand, Morocco, Italy, and more. The sandwiches served range from a fresh mozzarella bruschetta to a Mediterranean tuna panini. Their paninis are very famous, specifically the Prosciutto Mozzarella Panini with prosciutto, sun-dried tomatoes, basil and a touch of olive oil.

Founders Hall, Alumni Hall and Brittany Hall

Schnitz, Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m; Thursday-Saturday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Address: 177 First Ave.

Schnitz is a restaurant featuring schnitzels — thin slices of veal or other light meat, coated in breadcrumbs and fried. They serve schnitzel sandwiches made from the freshest of ingredients. Be sure to try the Bamberg, which is a chicken schnitzel sandwich with pickled cucumbers, daikon, ginger and shallots and a caramelized onion dijon mustard.

Othmer Hall and Clark Street   

Potbelly Sandwich Shop, Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m; Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6  p.m., Address: 345 Adams St.

Priding themselves on providing fast, friendly service and using fresh ingredients, Potbelly is a chain restaurant that offers a great selection of sandwiches. Their signature sandwich, A Wreck, has salami, angus roast beef, oven roasted turkey, hickory smoked ham topped with melted Swiss cheese, fresh lettuce, tomato and mayo on multigrain bread.

Email Yasmin Gulec at [email protected]