Weekly Sports Update April 3-April 9

Via gonyuathletics.com

Justine Morris running the 3,000 meter steeplechase during day one of the Sam Howell Invitational, at Princeton University.

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

Baseball (12-7)

The baseball team participated in a four game series against Case Western Reserve University for the opening of its University Athletic Association. Losing their first two games, the Violets recovered to take their first ever UAA win on Saturday but finished the week on a low note, falling 15-4 on Sunday.

The Violets’ solid 13-9 victory on Saturday was bolstered by sophomore first baseman Colman Hendershot, who hit a three-run home run in the seventh inning, inducing a scoring surge for the remainder of the game.

The Violets will play Brandeis University this weekend at their home field MCU Park.

Softball (11-9)

The softball team earned mixed results this week, winning a doubleheader against Drew University on Wednesday, splitting its first UAA doubleheader against Case Western Reserve University on Saturday and losing its third doubleheader against CWRU on Sunday.

The Violets had a rough start during Wednesday’s first game as Drew scored the first two runs of the game. But the team quickly recovered, thanks to runs by sophomore Diana King and freshman Samantha Sicignano. The Violets took the match 6-2 and earned a 5-3 victory in their second game against Drew.

The team earned an impressive 5-1 win in its first season match on Saturday but failed to maintain its momentum in the second game, falling to CWRU 4-3 in a close game. The team’s losing run against CRWU continued on Sunday, as the Violets lost its first game 4-3 and their second game 6-5.

The softball squad will be back in action on its home field at Fordham Tuesday against Manhattanville College.

Track and Field

Select runners from the track and field team participated in the College of New Jersey Invitational on Saturday.

From the women’s team, freshman Evelyn Nkanga placed third in the triple jump with a distance of  11.40m and the 4x100m relay team — which consists of Nkanga, senior Simone Cooper, sophomore Mimi Conti and sophomore Samantha Scoggins — placed fourth with a time of 50.71.

For the men, three runners placed in the 1,500m, including junior Robert DeSisto who came in fifth with a time of 4:07.25.

The Violets will be at the Greyhound Invitational at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pa. on Saturday, April 15.

Tennis W:(6-3), M:(8-2)

The tennis team had a successful week, with the women’s team defeating SUNY Geneseo 8-1 on Saturday and the men’s team beating the United States Coast Guard Academy 8-1 on Wednesday.

The women’s team will play The College of New Jersey on Thursday, April 13 and the men’s team will face Stevens Institute of Technology on Wednesday, April 12.

Golf

The golf teams had a successful weekend with the men’s team tying for fourth with Farmingdale State College in the NYU Spring Invitational and the women’s team coming in second at the Vassar Invitational.

The men’s strong 636 (325-311) record was led by freshman Jensen Li who shot 155 (74-81) over the weekend.

The women’s team second-place finish was encouraged by a notable performance by sophomore Jenni Bluetling who placed fifth with a 156 (78-78) record.

The men’s team will compete at  the Fred Kravetz Invitational on Friday, April 14, and the women will compete at the Jack Leaman Invitational this upcoming weekend.

Men’s Volleyball (16-9)

The men’s volleyball team earned varying results this week, defeating Endicott College in five sets (19-25, 20-25, 25-22, 25-23, 15-9) on Friday, but it lost to Wentworth Institute of Technology (25-16, 25-21, 25-20) in its last regular season game on Saturday.

The team’s victory on Friday came as a result of a boost in the third set, overtaking Endicott’s lead and closing the match with a decisive 15-9 set win.

Saturday’s disappointing three-set loss was influenced by Wentworth’s blocking strategy which proved difficult for the Violets to counter.

The team will face off against either Stevens Institute of Technology or Nazareth College in the UVC Tournament semifinal on Friday, April 14.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 10 print edition. Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected].